Elegant Tuscan Style 17th Century Home with Pool and Modern Amenities in Lucca
Immerse yourself in a quintessential Tuscan experience at this splendid 17th century home where you will be welcomed with open arms by the passionate owners who have restored this villa with Italian charm and grace.
Santa Gemma dates back to the 1600s when a noble family bought the villa as their summer residence, then in the 19th century it was gifted to monks who altered the rooms and attached a school and church to the house. Its current owners have spent many years overseeing the careful renovation of this grand villa, bringing it back to its former beauty, even hiring an artist from Florence to restore the 18th century frescoes which can be found in some of the wonderful rooms.
Of course, no expense has been spared to introduce 21st century luxuries such as complimentary Wi-Fi, mini-bars and robes in the bedrooms and beautiful bathrooms, many with contemporary rain showers. Overall there are eleven...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Outdoor Dining Area
Just 11km north-east of Lucca and around an hours drive from Florence, Santa Gemma enjoys a fantastic location for exploring this enchanting part of northern Tuscany and beyond. Set in formal gardens with views of olive groves, vineyards and distant mountains, you are within walking distance to a residential area/village with local restaurants and shops, including a supermarket. Also a short walk away is a fascinating late Renaissance stately home and stunning gardens where tours can be arranged. Lucca (11km) is a beautiful town, within easy reach of Santa Gemma and once you visit you’ll yearn to return. The city walls are amazing to explore, walking or cycling along the paths, stopping off for shady picnics or playgrounds before heading into the heart of the historic centre to discover authentic restaurants, inviting gelaterias, lovely shops alongside enchanting squares and exquisite architecture. A little further south, Pisa (30km) is also a brilliant city to explore, not just because of the Leaning Tower but also the charming and vibrant atmosphere by the riverside. Of course, the historic and artistic treasures of Florence (77km) are also within striking distance, the perfect day for sight-seeing or simply soaking up the ambience in the bars and trattorie of this glorious city. A little closer to home, organise a treatment in the spa-town of Montecatini Terme (20km), also home to some superb boutiques or visit the birthplace of the great artist, Leonardo da Vinci, in the delightful village of Vinci (40km). The pretty village of Collodi (10km) is also worthy of a visit, especially for families who will adore the magical theme park, Pinocchio Park. Those who prefer outdoor activities have horse-riding within a short drive, plenty of cycling opportunities as well as wonderful walking. Lovers of wildlife should visit the incredible Tuscan wetlands, Padule di Fucecchio, around 30km south or head north towards the spectacular Apuan Alps, around an hour away, for breathtaking hiking trails. Not forgetting watersports along the Versilia coast with the sandy beaches of Viareggio (42km) and Forte dei Marmi (50km) within an hour. For even more spectacular scenery, drive as far as the enchanting Golfo dei Poeti, including Porto Venere (105km) and La Spezia (90km), the latter being the gateway to the Cinque Terre National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage site and visited by travellers from all over the world.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Access and Accessibility
- Building Elevator
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €2000 paid in cash to the owner upon arrival and refunded upon departure, subject to full inspection.
- Arrival time : 4.00 - 7.00 p.m.
- Departure time : By 10.00 a.m.
- Energy costs included? : Yes, except air-conditioning which is €0.6/KW, payable locally.
- Linen & towels included? : Yes. Bath towels changed mid-week.
- Pool towels included? : Yes.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Yes, plus maid service included (4 hrs per day, six days per week). However, guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or rubbish disposal required will be charged against the security deposit.
- Pool heating charge? : Yes, approximately €150.00 per day, payable locally. Pool heating must be requested in advance. Please note that like all heated pools, pool heating and water temperature are reliant on weather and outside temperatures.
- Pool opening dates? : The pool is open approximately April to October. Please note that pool opening dates are subject to local weather conditions and pool maintenance requirements and that cooler months may not be suitable for swimming.
- Tax : Italian Visitors Tax payable locally in cash (typically costs €1-€3 per adult per night- please enquire if exact amount is required).
- Changeover day : Saturday.
- Minimum stay : 7 nights.
- Pets welcome? : On request only and with prior agreement with the owner. If accepted, a pet supplement will apply (payable locally).
- Smoking Allowed? : Outdoors only.
- Insurance : Guests are required to be in possession of a valid insurance policy, which covers them for cancellations, personal belongings, public liability and any accidental damage caused during their stay.
- Internet access? : Wi-Fi internet access included.
- Other Ts and Cs : Weddings, stag/hen parties and any special events are on request only and subject to prior arrangement with the owner and additional charges.
- Other Ts and Cs : A cot and a highchair are available on request, subject to a supplement of €30.00 each, payable locally.
- Other Ts and Cs : Sofa-beds in the suites are available on request for additional guests - subject to an extra charge of €30.00 per person per day (maximum of 5 extra guests).
- Heating costs included? : No, payable locally based on consumption.
- Other Ts and Cs : The 14-person price includes use of seven bedrooms only (four standard rooms will be closed) whilst the 22-person price includes all eleven bedrooms.
- Other Ts and Cs : If you are renting just seven bedrooms (14-person price), please inform us if you require the bedroom on the first floor which is suitable for guests with restricted mobility (as this bedroom will otherwise be closed).