Scenic 17th Century Family Castle with French Royalty History
Set in the undulating countryside of the glorious Lot-et-Garonne, Château Romance is an authentic family castle where you can stay in real comfort in beautiful surroundings.
Dating back as early as the 17th century, the château used to be a hunting castle, visited by the King of France and is now listed as a ‘Patrimonie de France’. The château has preserved much of its original character and charm and has been beautifully preserved by the owners allowing guests to feel a great sense of history around them alongside subtle modern comforts. Elegant silk wallpapers, sumptuous fabrics, grand paintings and many other original 18th and 19th century features add to the sense of historic grandeur at Château Romance.
Imagine sipping your morning coffee from the elegant salon looking out of the triple-aspect French windows leading to the glorious gardens. Or preparing breakfast in the recently refurbed kitchen-diner...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Outdoor Dining Area
Château Romance is located in the Lot-et-Garonne region in south western France, south of Bergerac and south-east of Bordeaux. There’s a lovely little village within a 5-minute drive where you can pick up your morning pastries and fresh bread from the excellent boulangerie and there’s also a butchers and a supermarket. You’ll also find a handful of cafes and restaurants. By the River Lot, the village has its own beach where there’s supervised swimming in July and most of August. There are other beautiful villages dotted along the River Lot, such as Castelmoron-sur-Lot, around fifteen minutes away, where you can hire canoes, pedalos and motorboats in the height of the summer and Villeneuve-sur-Lot, just over half an hour away, a village popular with hikers who can follow the stunning (yet hilly) walking route south to Pujols, one of France’s ‘Plus Beaux Villages’. Indeed, this region offers beautiful countryside for walking, hiking and cycling, horse-riding nearby and a choice of golf courses within a 30-minute drive. Lovers of great food can explore many authentic morning markets selling wonderful local produce in villages and towns across the Lot-et-Garonne including Aiguillon and Castelmoron-sur-Lot, both within fifteen minutes as well as Pujols (30km), Nérac (38km) and Agen (40km) a little further. In July and August many villages come alive with their atmospheric night markets where you can watch food being cooked at market stalls and enjoy live music and local wine with locals and tourists alike. Other wonderful places to visit include the 13th century castle-like mill in Barbaste (32km), the pretty village of Nérac (38km) on the River Baise and the pleasant and historic town of Marmande (24km), especially great on market day. Agen (40km) is another great day out with its historical highlights, boat trips on the Canal de Garonne, great parks and even a theme park for the kids! Make sure you try the famous Agen prunes, preferably steeped in Armagnac. Further afield, you can be in Dordogne in under an hour with Monflanquin (50km, near the border of Dordogne) and Monpazier (68km), two more of France’s ‘Plus Beaux Villages’, near enough to visit as well as the famous wine-town of Bergerac (70km) which can be reached in just over an hour. Heading west the mighty city of Bordeaux (108km) and its glorious vineyards are around 90 minutes away or you could be enjoying chilled white wine and oysters in the bay of Arcachon just two hours by car.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €3500 paid via bank transfer to the owner before arrival and refunded two weeks after departure, subject to full inspection.
- Arrival time : 4.00 p.m.
- Departure time : 10.00 a.m.
- Energy costs included? : Yes.
- Heating costs included? : Yes.
- Linen & towels included? : Yes.
- Pool towels included? : Yes.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Yes. However, guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or rubbish disposal required will be charged against the security deposit.
- Pets welcome? : On request only and with prior agreement with the owner. If accepted, a pet supplement may apply (paid locally).
- Smoking Allowed? : Outside only.
- Changeover day : Flexible (except Sundays).
- Minimum stay : 7 nights.
- Pool opening dates? : The pool is open from approximately May to end of September. Please note that pool opening times is subject to local weather conditions and pool maintenance requirements and that cooler months may not be suitable for swimming.
- Other Ts and Cs : Weddings are on request only and subject to prior arrangement with the owner and additional charges. Stag/hen parties and other special events are not permitted.
- Other Ts and Cs : Stag/hen parties and other special events are not permitted.