Castello Gubbio at Umbria
For those in search of an enchanting castle retreat, Castello Gubbio is the perfect choice.
It was built in the middle ages to defend the town of Gubbio against Perugia. The castle has retained its defensive character from the outside, but four years of intensive renovation have turned the interior into an extremely welcoming and comfortable house.
The castle is surrounded by a park with century old trees, large lawns and a beautiful pool which looks out over the hilly 1400 acre estate. The estate is signposted with beautiful walks, and in the appropriate season guests can even go truffle hunting with local experts. The owners of the estate are descendants of the family of Napoleon Bonaparte and the castle has been in their family since 1830.
- Living room
- Dining room
- Well-equipped kitchen
- Three twin bedrooms with en suite bathrooms
- Seven double...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Outdoor Dining Area
Castello Gubbio is situated on a promontory in Umbria, the region called "the green heart of Italy", in the territory of Gubbio, surrounded by a large loop of the Chiascio river. It overlooks the Cucco Mount, which has summer sports (trekking and delta plane) and winter sports (skiing) available. Immerged in an uncontaminated landscape, bordered by woods, grasslands and waters, the history of Castello Gubbio dates back to the middle ages, when it was the heart of the defence of the Commune of Gubbio against Perugia. The local village can be reached in 8 minutes by car. Gems such as Gubbio, Perugia, Assisi, Cortona, Spoleto and Todi are all within easy reach. - Carbonesca 3km - Gubbio 19km - Nocera Umbra (Truffle country) 33km - Assisi 40km - Umbertide 48km - Perugia 50km - Città di Castello 65km - Todi 70km - Lake Trasimene 72km - Spoleto 80km - Florence 180km - Rome City 220km. History In 1391 Melchiorre Montaiti, Lord Magrano, undertook to go against the Noble Antonio da Montefeltro, Lord of Urbino and Gubbio. Magrano was then severely assaulted with the destruction of its mill (which was built again and still exists today) but the soldiers of the Montefeltro family failed to take over the castle. In 1431 Magrano moved under the jurisdiction of the Dukes of Montefeltro. Federico da Montefeltro (1422-1482) turned it into his favourite hunting residence. It is said that the Duke was active in the hunting of the fallow deer and wild boars that still populate the residence today. This hunting was always finished with a banquet during which guests appreciated the most precious fruits of this land, particularly the truffle. In 1600, the ownership of the castle went to the noble family of the Carpegna, a family of bishops, cardinals and Priori of various cities in Umbria and Lazio. In 1830, Magrano became the property of the family that still today owns it. More specifically, it went to the Princess Giulia Bonaparte, daughter of two first cousins, Zenaide and Carlo Luciano Bonaparte Prince of Canino, who were both nephews of Napoleon. It is in this charming corner of nature, in this place so full of tradition and history, that guests can spend some nice days of relaxation and entertainment.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €500 to be paid prior to arrival.
- Arrival time : 4.00 p.m.
- > If not included, what are they? : 200 euros per day
- Departure time : 10.00 a.m.
- Energy costs included? : €200 per day.
- Linen & towels included? : Yes.
- Pets welcome? : On request only and with prior agreement with the owner.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Yes and daily maid service (Monday to Friday, 3 hrs per day, excluding kitchen). Guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or rubbish disposal required will be charged against the security deposit.
- Smoking Allowed? : Outside only.
- Insurance : Guests are required to be in possession of a valid insurance policy, which covers them for cancellations, personal belongings, public liability and any accidental damage caused during their stay.
- Other Ts and Cs : Maid service every day excluding Sunday, daily preparation and serving service for breakfast (not included purchasing and cost of food).
- Heating costs included? : Extra €200 per day, plus an additional €150 for the castle (excluding the Forestry bedrooms), payable locally.
- Internet access? : Wi-Fi internet access included.
- Changeover day : Saturday.
- Other Ts and Cs : Air-conditioning is featured in the roof apartment of the Forestry only.
- Tax : Italian Visitors Tax payable locally (typically costs approximately between €1-€3 per adult per night- please enquire if exact amount is required).
- Other Ts and Cs : Weddings and any other special events are on request only and subject to prior arrangement with the owner and additional charges.
- Pool opening dates? : The pool is open approximately May to October. Please note that pool opening dates are subject to local weather conditions and pool maintenance requirements and that cooler months may not be suitable for swimming.
- Other Ts and Cs : When minimum occupancy is booked, certain rooms may not be accessible (subject to owner's discretion) - best to enquire with us beforehand
- Other Ts and Cs : If meals are required then a €1000 deposit is payable to the owner on arrival in cash (or credit card subject to a 10% surcharge) towards the cost of groceries. Receipts will be provided every three days (in case it needs topping up) and any remaining money refunded at the end of your stay.