Authentic three bedroom villa near Normandie beaches
Just a short cycle ride from a magnificent sandy beach on the Cotentin Peninsula, this elegant yet authentic maison is set in a picturesque region where you can experience Normandy at its very best.
Exquisite renovations and admirable attention to detail by the enthusiastic owners has led to a unique and very beautiful home which has been furnished with style and flair, after all this is their home as well. The chesterfield sofa, antique furnishings and a woodburning stove create a warm ambience whilst exposed stone and wood beams give the room immense character. The open-plan kitchen adds a touch of contemporary luxury and is brilliantly equipped for creating feasts with the local produce you will find at nearby markets.
The romantic master bedroom upstairs has an antique bed and its own luxurious en suite with a classic roll-top bath whilst at the top of the maison, under the traditional...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Outdoor Dining Area
On the western coast of the Cotentin Peninsula, only an hour south of Cherbourg, Maison Bertiniere is set in a rural Normandy village very near the sea. You can cycle to the gloriously long sandy beach in about 10 minutes, using the bikes provided by the maison, or take a leisurely stroll in about half an hour (or five minutes by car). The village itself also has a communal tennis court which are free for guests to use when available (tennis rackets and balls are in the barn). The nearest places to eat, shops and supermarkets are a short drive/cycle ride away in La Haye-du-Puits (8km), a traditional and picturesque town with some excellent restaurants and charming bars, a tourism office and a weekly market on a Wednesday morning where you can pick up all sorts of local produce. Occasionally in the summer this expands into an atmospheric brocante (flea market). The port town of Portbail (11km) is also a great place to visit with beautiful historic buildings, good restaurants (especially for seafood lovers) and a Tuesday morning market which includes a particularly good artisan bakery stall. There are various festivals or events taking place in the summer; if you’re staying in July look out for the festival of Normandy with fireworks whilst in late June there is usually a large brocante with food and live music. Heading north, the seaside resort of Barneville-Carteret (19km) is much loved by Parisians in the summer due to its cafes, restaurants (including one with a Michelin star) and brilliant sandy beaches which have been awarded a ‘Blue-Flag’ for cleanliness. For a picturesque day out, take the 1930s Contenin tourist train from Barneville to Portbail, following the coastline with views of the Channel Islands. Just further north, the dunes at Hatainville are especially beautiful. This area offers wonderful walking and hiking trails both along the coast and inland. Horse-riding is also incredibly popular here with centres near Barneville-Carteret offering rides along the beach for all abilities. You could just spend your days exploring the delightful Cotentin Peninsula with its vast, long stretches of sandy beaches, rural villages and amazing cuisine. Food and drink tours can be arranged via the owners allowing you to sample some of the local soft cheeses, seafood, chocolate, Calvados brandy, apple cider and pommeau. Yet there is also so much to explore further afield in Normandy, such as the outstanding Mont Saint-Michel (115km) and the historic town of Bayeux (80km) with the world-famous Bayeux Tapestry. The D-Day landing beaches are also nearby, for example Omaha (70km) and Arromanches-les-Bains (87km) as well as significant WWII villages such as Sainte-Mère-Église (33km); D-Day tours can also be arranged with the owners, tailored to your own particular interests.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €100 paid via bank transfer to the owner before arrival and refunded two weeks after departure, subject to full inspection.
- Arrival time : 3.00 p.m.
- Departure time : 10.00 a.m.
- Energy costs included? : Yes.
- Heating costs included? : Yes, underfloor heating on ground floor and one basket of logs for the wood burner.
- Linen & towels included? : Yes. Linen is changed once for stays of more than one week.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Yes. A mid-stay clean is also possible for stays of more than one week (payable locally). Please note, guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or rubbish disposal required will be charged against the security deposit.
- Other Ts and Cs : One cot and one highchair are available on request. Please bring your own cot linen and mattress.
- Pets welcome? : No.
- Smoking Allowed? : Outside only.
- Minimum stay : 3 nights, with the exception of 5th June and 3rd July 2021 where 7 nights is required.
- Changeover day : Flexible.
- Other Ts and Cs : Weddings, stag/hen parties and other special events are not permitted.
- Tax : French Taxe De Séjour paid via bank transfer to the owner before arrival (typically costs approximately between €2-€3 per adult per night- please enquire if exact amount is required.)