Delightful French Chateau in Loue Valley
Gather with family or friends and spend relaxing days in this delightful French château on the banks of the river, creating memories in this glorious setting in the Loue Valley, in Franche-Comté. With its own river access from its vast and private gardens, this is a truly idyllic location.
Spend summer days cooling off in the river, splashing and swimming or fishing and kayaking with just the peaceful sounds of birds singing and leaves rustling. Set up a deckchair by the riverside or lay out a picnic of fresh bread and locally made comté cheese as children run around on the huge lawns leading down to the water’s edge. This charming 16th-century château has been in the same family for over a century – every year they gather together for carefree time that they will remember for years to come.
It’s an enchanting place to stay with traditional interiors allowing you to immerse yourself in an authentic yet relaxed...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Children’s Play Area
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Outdoor Dining Area
In the Bourgogne-Franche-Comté region of eastern France, just half-an-hour south of Besançon, Château Notre Famille is located in the beautiful Loue Valley, an area which inspired the 19th century painter Gustave Courbet. Set on the river’s edge in a tiny village, the natural beauty around you is wonderful. You can splash and swim in the flowing river or use the château’s kayak for further exploring. There are some picturesque walks and fishing spots nearby as well; discover idyllic parts of the river which have been painted by Courbet. Within a short drive you will find historic châteaux as well as incredible areas of conservation. The nearest village with restaurants and shops is 6km away – here you will find a boulangerie, butchers and supermarkets as well as a good selection of places to eat including a couple of restaurants recommended by the owners. It’s a very pretty place with delightful houses along the river banks and two lovely stone bridges dating back to the 17th century. There are some pleasant walks from this town and also a museum featuring the works of Gustave Courbet. Visit some of the beautiful villages along the river such Lods (20km), one of France’s ‘Plus Beaux Villages’, Mouthier-Haute-Pierre (20km) and Ouhans (31km). Look out for little waterfalls, gorges, tiny villages and stunning scenery in this enchanting valley. A trip to Besançon (26km) is a must when staying in this area. Far from the tourist crowds, this is a charming French town with a historic centre of winding lanes and exquisite architecture alongside excellent restaurants and lovely shops. Visit the brilliant Musee des Beaux Arts, one of France’s oldest galleries which has recently been superbly renovated. Head to the historic citadel, designed by Vauban and now a UNESCO World Heritage site with its fantastic views over the town and surrounding countryside, followed by a boat trip on the Doubs river. Another worthy visit is the Royal Saltworks at Arc-et-Senans (40km), near the border of the Doubs and Jura departments, which is open to visitors and has been classified as a UNESCO World Heritage site. Heading south-east towards the Swiss border, Château de Joux (47km) is another impressive day out, as are the caves further north at Gouffre de Poudrey (20km). Food-lovers should look out for local factories or caves where they can sample Comté cheese made in this region whilst Morteau (59km) is well-known for its sausages. Other seasonal specialities across the area include mushrooms, chicken cooked in vin jaune, regional hams and even absinthe made from local herbs.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €1500 paid in cash or by cheque to the owner upon arrival and refunded after departure, subject to full inspection.
- Arrival time : 4.00 p.m.
- Departure time : 10.00 a.m.
- Energy costs included? : Yes.
- Heating costs included? : Yes.
- Linen & towels included? : Yes, included in end of stay cleaning fee.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Extra €300, payable locally. However, guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or rubbish disposal required will be charged against the security deposit.
- Changeover day : Saturday in July and August. Flexible during all other periods.
- Minimum stay : 7 nights in July and August, 3 nights in April, May, June, September, Christmas and New Year. 2 nights during all other periods.
- Pets welcome? : Not allowed.
- Smoking Allowed? : No.
- Other Ts and Cs : A cot and two vintage high-chairs are available on request.
- Other Ts and Cs : Weddings, stag/hen parties and other events/celebrations are not permitted.