Spectacular 12 Century Charming Home in Ardèche
Surrounded by wild beauty and spectacular landscapes, set above a glorious valley in the Ardèche, Château Sauvage offers authenticity and charm with discreet touches of luxury – the perfect place where you can gather with family or friends to create special memories. When the current owners first saw Château Sauvage they said it was the most enchanting place they had ever seen, not just its incredible setting but also the striking interiors.
The maison itself dates back to the 12th century and has had a fascinating history throughout the ages. Nowadays it’s a beautiful holiday home with both character and style, made up of the original 6-bedroom château alongside a pretty cottage and four garden bedrooms. Enjoy breakfast in the courtyard then wander out to the gardens to marvel at the southern facing views that will take your breath away. Enjoy long summer days by the swimming pool, join in a game of football on the playing...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Outdoor Dining Area
Set in the stunning Ardèche department, Château Sauvage is in a remote and beautiful location, near the town of Privas, reached via a narrow road with spectacular scenery around you. There’s a delightful weekly fruit and vegetable market in the local village, around 8km away, as well as an excellent bakery, butchers and winery. Guests can make the most of the outstanding natural scenery by horse-riding with stables just a ten-minute drive away, as well as incredible hikes, rock climbing and canoeing down the Ardèche gorges - Vallon-Pont-d'Arc, one of the main starting points for canoe excursions, is only an hour away. This region also offers some fine wine-tasting opportunities with the Côtes du Rhône wine regions to the north and south both accessible. Visit vineyards, wine châteaux and cellars to sample some of the excellent varieties produced in this area. Of course, you must try some of the wines from the Ardèche vineyards too! For food-lovers, you will find many excellent restaurants including the three Michelin starred Restaurant Anne-Sophie Pic in Valence (45km) or you may prefer to visit the chef’s more informal eatery next door and her gourmet food shop. Other restaurants in pretty villages offer an authentic taste of Provençal cuisine in glorious settings in charming places such as Cliousclat (30km), Charmes-sur-Rhône (35km) and closer to home near Privas. Indeed, Privas (14km) is a characterful town to explore with its twice weekly Farmers market and beautiful architecture. Sample some of the chestnut products that the town is well known for or just soak up the ambience with a coffee or glass of local wine in a terrace café. Privas is the gateway to the Parc Naturel Régional des Monts d'Ardèche with its amazing landscapes and breathtaking beauty. Montélimar (35km) is another lovely day out, especially on a Saturday when you can experience the vibrant morning market. Expect colourful shops, many selling nougat which is a speciality of this town and historic buildings including the especially impressive 12th century Château des Adhémars. Other wonderful places in the Ardèche include the spa town of Vals-les-Bains (36km) and the pretty medieval town of Aubenas (35km), both reached in under an hour. Valence (45km) is worthy of a visit, known as the gateway to the south of France, whilst the historic city of Avignon (110km) can be reached in around ninety minutes for a brilliant day out.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €2000 paid via bank transfer to the owner one month before arrival and refunded two weeks after departure, subject to full inspection.
- Arrival time : 4.00 p.m.
- Departure time : 10.00 a.m.
- Energy costs included? : Yes.
- Heating costs included? : Yes.
- Linen & towels included? : Yes.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Yes. However, guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or rubbish disposal required will be charged against the security deposit.
- Pool towels included? : Yes.
- Changeover day : Saturday. All other changeover days on request.
- Minimum stay : 7 nights. All other durations on request.
- Pets welcome? : On request only and with prior agreement with the owner.
- Smoking Allowed? : Outside only.
- Internet access? : Wi-Fi internet access included, however please note Wi-Fi is not available in some parts of the property.
- Other Ts and Cs : Weddings and other special events are on request only and subject to prior arrangement with the owner and additional charges. Stag/hen parties are not permitted.
- Other Ts and Cs :
- Other Ts and Cs : Air-conditioning is featured in one bedroom only.