Fantastic Elegant Home in Charente
There’s an air of French elegance across this stunning Maison de Maitre, set in a quiet farming village in sunny Charente, half an hour from the chic city of Angoulême. Maison Trocadero has been exquisitely restored with no expense spared by its caring owners who bought the house over ten years ago.
With high ceilings and characterful features throughout, only the finest furnishings have been used throughout the four inviting bedrooms and handsome living space. Expect antique beds, superior mattresses and high-quality bed linen alongside the two splendid bathrooms with roll top baths. Feast by the open fire in the dining room then relax on the sumptuous sofas in the lounge – this house is all about comfort as well as luxury. Furthermore, new for 2021, the owners have built two charming cottages, one near the swimming pool with two pretty en suite bedrooms and another one with three bedrooms the other side of the maison. Both...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Outdoor Dining Area
Maison Trocadero lies in the heart of a quiet farm village in the Charente department, around half an hour stroll to the banks of the river. It’s also just a 30-minute drive to the vibrant city of Angoulême (with its TGV to Paris in just over two hours). There are some wonderful walks straight from your doorstep, through rural farmland in the surrounding area and along the Charente river, a peaceful spot to watch wildlife in incredibly tranquil surroundings. Visit nearby châteaux to sample and purchase local wine and discover local markets selling all sorts of fresh produce and regional delights. Hire canoes or kayaks along the Charente river in the nearby town of Mansle, around 11km away. Mansle itself is a picturesque town with restaurants and shops – head to town for the twice-weekly morning market and look out for festivities taking place in the summer. There are many marked trails around the town and beyond through the glorious Charente valley which is classified as one of the EU’s Natura 2000 nature protection areas. Pretty villages and impressive historic sights can also be discovered across this beautiful region. Visit the interesting medieval gardens in Tusson or spend time admiring the château in the village of Bayers. Verteuil-sur-Charente is a delightful riverside village with an ancient moulin and picturesque castle which could perhaps be combined with a visit to charming Nanteuil-en-Vallee, a classified ‘village of character’. A visit to the typically French town of Ruffec is a must on market day, on the banks of Le Lien. Heading towards the Périgord-Limousin Natural Regional Park, the spectacular Château de La Rochefoucauld is another great day out for all ages. Angoulême is a handsome city full of history and art in a lovely setting above the Charente river. Enjoy its ancient citadel, traditional markets and atmospheric places to eat – this beautiful place is both chic and unspoilt. There’s also the fantastic National Comic Strip and Image Centre and of course the famous Le Circuit des Remparts, an international classic car race each September. You can drive to Angoulême in around half an hour or catch a regional train, taking around 15 minutes, from a local train station about 8km away. Jarnac and Cognac are also fine places to visit for the day where you will find excellent restaurants, historic architecture and fine Cognac and brandy tastings. You can even spend the day at the seaside in Royan, just over a 90-minute drive away.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : £1000 paid via bank transfer to the owner one month before arrival and refunded two weeks after departure, subject to full inspection.
- Arrival time : 4.00 p.m.
- Departure time : 10.00 a.m.
- Energy costs included? : Yes.
- Heating costs included? : Yes.
- Linen & towels included? : Yes and changed mid-stay for stays of more than 7 nights.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Yes and mid-stay clean for stays of more than 7 nights. Please note guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or rubbish disposal required will be charged against the security deposit.
- Changeover day : Saturday. All other changeover days on request
- Minimum stay : 7 nights.
- Pets welcome? : Not allowed.
- Smoking Allowed? : Outside only.
- Pool towels included? : Yes.
- Pool opening dates? : The pool is open approximately May to September. Please note that pool opening dates are subject to local weather conditions and pool maintenance requirements and that cooler months may not be suitable for swimming.
- Other Ts and Cs : Weddings, stag/hen parties and any special events are on request only and subject to prior arrangement with the owner and additional charges as well as an increased security deposit of £2000.
- Other Ts and Cs : The owners only accept children aged 8 and over.
- Other Ts and Cs : The 12-person price includes the main house and Cottage I, the 14-person price includes the main house and Cottage II whilst the 18-person price includes both cottages alongside the main house.