Amazing Tranquil 14 Bedroom Chateau at the foot of the Pyrénées Surrounded by Stunning Scenery
At the foot of the Pyrénées, surrounded by lakes, forests and stunning scenery, you will find the idyllic Château Arize. A beautiful home which is perfect for all generations, it’s the ideal place to relax and unwind with an impressive array of amenities as well as beautiful grounds.
Dating back to the 18th century, when it was re-built after the French Revolution, the château is full of character with beautiful antiques, traditional furnishings and Persian rugs. The restoration has been a labour of love for its owners who have updated the home to a fine standard, creating a historical and magical ambience.
The 14 bedrooms, eleven of which are en-suite, include two master doubles at the front with glorious views of the parkland and three interconnecting rooms ideal for families with young children. Explore the house and you’ll also find a cinema room, library, a fun games room in addition to an antique billiards...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Outdoor Dining Area
In a wonderful location at the foot of the Pyrenees, you are in the heart of the Natural Regional Park of the Ariège Pyrénées, surrounded by lakes, forests and hills – a fantastic location for a great array of putdoor activities and stunning natural scenery. You are only 5 minutes drive from a local medieval village where you can find two small supermarkets, a butchery, bakery, chemist and medical centre as well as a tourist office for the area. There are two larger towns a little further with larger supermarkets and a greater choice of shops and restaurants – Foix and Saint Girons. Foix (20km), with its medieval castle located on a rocky hill overlooking the Ariège and Arge rivers, is just 20 minutes away. Take a stroll in the old town, exploring its narrow streets, pretty squares with ancient abbeys, local restaurants and authentic shops. There is also a superb market every Friday. Saint Girons (24km) on the river Sarlat is an attractive town to wander around with characterful buildings and shops to admire. Combine with a trip to the UNESCO classified ancient village of St. Lizier (25km), one of France’s Plus Beaux Villages. Rich in art and history, visit the lower part with the old village and cathedral then head to the upper part surrounded by ancient fortifications including the Bishops Palace, now a museum. The bastide town of Mirepoix (52km) is also within easy reach: a vibrant gem, with one of the best markets in France on a Monday and hosting plenty of festivals and events throughout the year. Set within the Natural Regional Park of the Ariège Pyrénées, outdoor activities such as cycling, kayaking, fishing and horse-riding are in abundance amongst its lakes, mountains and forests. Cycling is a great way to discover this beautiful National Park; a well-known cycling trail of over 40km can be accessed just half a kilometre away. Keen walkers should also visit the waterfall at Cascade d’Ars (57km) which is at its best in May and June whilst serious golf enthusiasts will love the golf course just a short drive from the château. In the summer you can swim at Lac de Mondély, a lake also wonderful for fishing, walking and bird watching. Families will love the opportunity to walk with donkeys near Biert (30km) or Aleu (40km), visit the nearby reptile park, there's a Prehistoric Park near Tarascon-sur-Ariège (40km), or there are some fantastic adventure parks such as Horizon Vertical for older kids and adults in Moulis (30km) or Acro’lus for younger children near Aulus-les-Bains (55km). The subterranean River Labouïche (17km) is another brilliant place to visit nearby where you can visit the caves and caverns 60m underground. The area has so many wonderful historical sites to discover. You are not far from the the Cathars land and a trip to the ruins of the Château de Montsegur (52km), one of the last Cathar strongholds, should not be missed. Another fine day trip is the Niaux cave paintings (45km), dating back 14,000 years and can be visited if you book on to one of their tours, booking in advance is recommended. The fortified city of Carcassonne (98km) is located about ninety minutes from the château and is a must see. The famous summer festival, brings together over 100 performances, including opera, dance, theatre and music, most of which you can watch free of charge.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €1000 paid to the owner in cash upon arrival and refunded upon departure or via bank transfer before arrival and refunded after departure, subject to full inspection.
- Arrival time : 3.00 p.m.
- Departure time : 10.00 a.m.
- Energy costs included? : Yes.
- Heating costs included? : 2019 rentals: included. 2020 rentals: extra €1000, when required and paid locally.
- Linen & towels included? : Yes, changed mid-week for stays of 2 weeks.
- End of stay cleaning included? : 2019 rentals: extra €500 per week, paid locally. 2020 rentals: included. However, guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or rubbish disposal required will be charged against the security deposit.
- Pool towels included? : Yes. Gym towels are also provided.
- Tax : French Visitors Tax payable locally (typically costs €1-€3 per adult per night- please enquire if exact amount is required).
- Changeover day : Saturday in July, August and Christmas. Flexible during all other periods.
- Minimum stay : 7 nights in July, August and Christmas. 4 nights during all other periods.
- Pets welcome? : No.
- Smoking Allowed? : Outside only.
- Other Ts and Cs : Weddings are on request only and subject to prior arrangement with the owner and additional charges. Stag/hen parties and any special events are not allowed.
- Pool opening dates? : The pool is open and heated approximately May to end-September. Please note that like all heated pools, pool heating and water temperature are reliant on weather and outside temperatures.
- Other Ts and Cs : The lower 18-guest prices only include access to the bedrooms located in the 19th Century Wing of the Chateau (excluding bedrooms 11-15)