Unique Grand 13th Century 9 Bedroom Castle with Impressive History in Dordogne
As you approach Troubadour Castle along the winding drive you will already be aware of its majestic surroundings with panoramic countryside views all around you. Pass through the high fortified walls and you enter a world of magical charm steeped in history, yet with the modern comforts of a sensitively restored family home.
The main part of the inner castle, within the moat, dates back to the thirteenth century and includes nine bedrooms over two wings and towers. You can dine under the vaulted ceilings of the original chapel with a finely carved wooden fireplace and ornate furnishings. The library includes antique oil paintings and Gothic bookcases filled with fascinating reference books from the past. There is a well-equipped kitchen with the modern conveniences you would expect including a dishwasher and coffee machine plus a professional stove in the old fire-place. Wander across the cloistered courtyard and up to the...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Outdoor Dining Area
Troubadour Castle is located in 270 acres of land with countryside and woodland walks on your doorstep. The nearest village with facilities is Lisle (6.5km) where you will find a grocery store, bakery and a couple of restaurants and bars. The nearest town is the delightful Brantôme (17km) which sits on the River Drone and has fine restaurants and interesting shops to discover. Here you can hire canoes on this particularly gentle part of the river or take a peaceful stroll along the bankside. Riberac (22km) is also a pleasant town with one of the regions best markets on a Friday morning, you could combine it with a trip to the charming village of Aubeterre-sur-Dronne (35km), one of the prettiest villages in France and well-known for its Monolithic church. Here you are in the northern part of Dordogne, an area well known for its fine foods. There are a number of Michelin starred restaurants within half an hours drive as well as more rustic but excellent eateries. Market days are a great way to soak up the local ambience and buy some great local foods to take back to your castle. Try the famous Friday morning market in Riberac (22km) or head to Périgueux (27km) on a Saturday or Wednesday morning, both within half an hours drive. Périgueux and Riberac are particularly famous for foie gras and you will also be able sample black truffles and walnuts from the region. Wine lovers should head south to the Bergerac wine country or a little further to St.Emilion (110km), towards Bordeaux, where you will find some excellent wine tours and tastings as well as more high quality restaurants. The area is rich in history, throughout the region you will see signs for ‘Site Roman’ which refer to remains of medieval Roman Catholic churches, two of which can be found within a few minutes drive of the castle. You will also find a Neolithic burial ground within less than two kilometres or head to the Grotte de Villars caves (32km) with impressive pre-historic paintings as well as stunning natural formations. The charming villages and towns in this area are also rich in heritage, such as the impressive Périgueux (27km), with its 11th-century cathedral, attractive medieval streets and many remains from the Roman times. Further activities in the nearby area include golf and horse-riding, both within half an hour, and you can even arrange for a hot-air balloon ride to be taken over the castle grounds. Kids will love the zip line and obstacle course about 45 minutes away near Angouleme or head to the go-kart tracks just over an hour away south of Périgueux.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €1000 to be paid either by cash on arrival or bank transfer one month in advance and refunded two weeks after departure subject to a full damage inspection.
- Arrival time : 4.00 p.m.
- Departure time : 10.00 a.m.
- Energy costs included? : Yes.
- Linen & towels included? : Yes, including pool towels.
- Pets welcome? : Only on request and with prior agreement with the owner.
- Changeover day : Saturday.
- Minimum stay : One week.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Yes. However, guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or rubbish disposal required will be charged against the security deposit.
- Smoking Allowed? : No.
- Heating costs included? : Yes.
- Pool heating charge? : No. Please note that advance notice may be required to heat the pool. Please note that like all heated pools, pool heating and water temperature are reliant on weather and outside temperatures.
- Other Ts and Cs : Advertised prices are for up to 20 guests only in the main castle (within the moat). Up to a further 10 guests can be accommodated in the ‘outer bailey’ (within the outer walls) at an additional cost of €200 per person, per week.
- Other Ts and Cs : Weddings, stag/hen parties and other celebrations/events are not allowed.
- Other Ts and Cs : The Troubadour ballroom and its kitchen in the Outer Bailey are available on request only and at an additional cost and increased security deposit.