Towerhouse Castle & Coach House at County Kilkenny
If you’re looking to experience authentic Ireland with all your favourite 21st century amenities look no further!
The exceptional Towerhouse Castle & Coach House is beautifully situated with views over green tree filled fields. The 16th century Towerhouse has been restored to its former glory using the techniques and materials of the original builders. The rooms are rich in character and offer a truely unique atomsphere. Whilst the new Coach House addition offers a modern and spacious stay.
The castle, an ancient seat of the Comerford clan, is a five storey, 16th century towerhouse. Located just 8 km south of the medieval city of Kilkenny, which offers a wealth of wonderful pubs, activities and local sites.
Modern comforts have been incorporated without detracting from the simple grandeur of this ancient dewlling. This beautiful example of a medieval towerhouse, built for security and status, is still a...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Outdoor Dining Area
Nestled in the hub of Ireland's Ancient East, Kilkenny is the Medieval Capital of Ireland, the castle is the perfect base from which to immerse yourself in its historic slipways, music, culture and arts. Towerhouse Castle is located 8 km from Kilkenny, 64 km from Waterford, and 120 km from Limerick, Cork and Dublin. Favourite Pubs include - John Cleeres, Kilkenny - This cosy and traditional Irish pub offers a great atmosphere and friendly service also a variety of Irish traditional music every Monday. It also has a 100 seater venue at the rear, where good quality Irish music is performed every weekend. Highly recommended. - Andrew Ryan, Kilkenny - Good tunes, good beer and good company. This is the house of good music in Kilkenny for those who like traditional, blues and country rock. There is a fabulous beer garden and a comfortable smoking area. - Carrolls, Kilkenny - This is a really traditional Irish pub, and the cosy, warm and friendly atmosphere is welcoming. The enthusiastic staff give guests the best of service. Traditional Irish music sessions are held here regularly and the craic is great. The best of pub grub is offered, and during the summer there is a spectacular beer garden open which also features a barbeque. - The local pub in Cuffsgrange: Just a 10 minute walk from castle, proprietors Liam and Marianne Murphy host the 'sitting room' of the locals. The craic is mighty. - The Left Bank, Kilkenny - A funky venue that was remodelled in 2008 from a Bank of England Headquarters and is arguably one of Kilkenny's most popular pubs. - The Hole in the Wall, Kilkenny - A new music venue in the heart of the city, it is housed in the oldest surviving townhouse in Ireland- the 1852 Archer Inner House, 17 High St. - Kytlers Inn, Kilkenny - Winners of the tourism bar of the year in 2014, it combines a rich heritage with 21st century amenities and service. Since it was first established by the notorious Dame Alice de Kyteler in the 13th century, the inn has welcomed visitors and provided them with good food and beverages. There are eight golf courses in Kilkenny City and county, offering a variety of challenges for both the experienced and novice player. There are 18 hole and 9 hole parkland courses, par three golf facilities, driving ranges, pitch and putt courses and even a crazy golf course to satisfy every skill level. Kilkenny provides ample locations and opportunities for all those who enjoy horse riding at whatever level and activity they require. Game angling is the best on the rivers Nore and Suir and their tributaries with some trout and salmon on the river Barrow. Coarse anglers will especially enjoy the River Barrow where there is excellent bream fishing from late April to October. Rudd is in plentiful supply in summer and pike fishing is more rewarding in the cooler months. Cross Country quad biking on a scenic livestock farm is available for those age 8 years and upward. Half an hour drive from Kilkenny. Up to twelve people at any one time. Clay pigeon shooting is available on request. Set in extensive parklands, this 13th century Kilkenny castle was once the home of the Butlers, Earls and Dukes of Ormonde. The castle has been magnificently restored and guided tours are available all year round. Jerpoint Abbey: This outstanding Cisterian Abbey was founded in the 12th century. The church, with it's Irish Romanesque details, dates from this period, though the tower, east window and the beautifully sculptured cloister arcade date from around 1400. Dunmore Cave: This is one of Ireland's most interesting limestone caves. First mentioned in the 9th century Irish Triads, it was reported to be the site of a viking massacre in 928 AD. Coins found in the cave date from 897 to 926. The monastery of Kells dates from 1193 AD. The seven towers are in various stages of preservation, but they must have been top-level in their standard of comfort for their inhabitants. It is an ideal place to bring children for a day outing. Apart from what they would learn in history, they would certainly enjoy the day playing at knights in armour up and down the steps and exploring the castles.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Access and Accessibility
- Wheelchair access
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : £500. This is paid on arrival and will be refunded in full after departure subject to damage inspection.
- Arrival time : After 2.00 pm or by arrangement.
- Departure time : Before 12.00 am or by arrangement.
- Energy costs included? : Included in the rental price.
- Linen & towels included? : All linen and bath towels are included in the rental price.
- Pets welcome? : Pets allowed.
- Changeover day : Any day of the week.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Included. Please leave the property in the state that you found it.
- Smoking Allowed? : No smoking in the property.
- Insurance : It is recommended that all guests take out insurance to cover against potential cancellation and any accidental damage caused during your stay at the property.
- Other Ts and Cs : No stag or hen do's allowed