Villa Il Gufo at Toscana
Nestled within the small medieval village of Anghiari, Villa il Gufo is comprised of several Tuscan farmhouses, restored with love and passion to create a magical estate of distinctive earthy colour tones and subtle aromas of Jasmine and Primrose.
The property consists of three units dating back to 1600, that include a monastery that housed Camaldolesi monks for over a thousand years, a main house spread over three stories with private terracotta terraces, and a charming stone cottage about 30m away from the main building. All of these fascinating buildings have long and varied histories, and have been restored with respect to their heritage, keeping many of the original features such as the floor tiles, stone steps and thick wooden trusses.
Surrounding the buildings are carefully maintained landscaped gardens boasting a wide array of colourful blossoms, and a further five acres of woodland home to one of the...
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area
Just 1km from the property, in the village of Tavernelle di Anghiari, you will find the basic necessities and a couple of restaurants. Anghiari (5 mins drive away) is a small gem known throughout the world for its art and culture, antique shops, local crafts, excellent restaurants and its medieval history. Built around the flow of the Arno and Tiber rivers it is dotted with churches, medieval houses, monasteries and archaeological sites. From the top you can see the entire valley - a truly magnificent view. Its narrow streets and squares are home to masterpieces of painting and sculpture that in recent years have received recognition from the Italian touring cub who declared it one of the most beautiful villages of Italy. Over the years various famous artists have lived here including Michelangelo Buonarroti, Piero della Francesca, Luca Pacioli and Leonardo da Vinci who painted here at the famous Battle of Anghiari. The food, the art, the history, the culture can all be felt everywhere, from the farmer's market on Wednesday to the Tuesday and Saturday markets in Sansepolcro, during the many festivals held throughout the year, and especially in the summer music festivals. The house’s location is an ideal base from which to visit the most popular places in Tuscany such as Florence, Siena, Assisi, Perugia, which are all less than 100km from the house, or in just over two hours you can reach Lucca and Pisa. An easy drive takes you to the lesser known but charming villages of Sansepolcro, Cortona (famous for the book and film "Under the Tuscan Sun" by Frances Mayes), Citerna and Monterchi. Also nearby is the beautiful hermitage of La Verna where Francis of Assisi received the stigmata and Arezzo, famous for the film "Life is Beautiful" where every first weekend of the month one of the most famous antiques fairs in Italy is held here. Being on the border with Umbria, it is well worth a walk in Città di Castello, Gubbio and Lake Trasimeno up to Spello, or visit Deruta which is known worldwide for its famous handmade pottery. If your passion is fishing there are many lakes where you will find trout and chub, and you can also fish at the dam of Montedoglio, that is full of pike and carp. If shopping is your thing then there are many outlets (the mall, Prada, Valdichiana outlet, Befane) that can be reached in less than an hour's drive. Tennis courts and bowling can be found in Anghiari and Sansepolcro, where there are also gyms and fitness centres. Meanwhile there is a stunning 9-hole golf course in Perugia.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €2000 paid in cash to the owner upon arrival and refunded upon departure, subject to full inspection.
- Arrival time : 4.00 p.m.
- Departure time : 9.30 a.m.
- Energy costs included? : Extra €450 per week, paid locally.
- Linen & towels included? : Yes.
- Pets welcome? : Not allowed.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Extra €450 per stay, paid locally. However, guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or rubbish disposal required will be charged against the security deposit.
- Smoking Allowed? : Outside only.
- Insurance : It is recommended that all guests take out insurance to cover against potential cancellation and any accidental damage caused during your stay at the property.
- Changeover day : Saturday.
- Other Ts and Cs : Air conditioning €300 p/w
- Other Ts and Cs : Second cot €50 per week
- Heating costs included? : Extra €600 per week, paid locally (can be turned on for a minimum of four days).
- Internet access? : Wi-Fi internet access included.
- Other Ts and Cs : Weddings, stag/hen parties and any special events are on request only and subject to prior arrangement with the owner and additional charges.
- Pool towels included? : Yes.
- Pool opening dates? : The pool is open approximately mid-May to end-September. Please note that pool opening dates are subject to local weather conditions and pool maintenance requirements and that cooler months may not be suitable for swimming.
- Other Ts and Cs : When minimum occupancy is booked, certain rooms may not be accessible (subject to owner's discretion) - best to enquire with us beforehand.
- Other Ts and Cs : A cot (excluding cot linen) and high chair are available on request. A second cot can be provided for an extra charge of €80, payable locally.
- Minimum stay : 7 nights during high season, 5 nights during low season.