Secluded Beautiful 10 Bedroom Home with Stunning Gardens in Heart of the Charente Maritime Countryside
Set in its own beautiful and secluded grounds, The Millhouse provides exceptional accommodation in the heart of the Charente Maritime countryside. The relaxing surroundings combine with the charm of this historic mill to provide you with the perfect way to unwind.
The home has ten ensuite bedrooms in total, Wi-Fi throughout and beautiful grounds featuring a stream and rivers, landscaped gardens and wild flowers. There are 9 bedrooms in the main house, available for up to 18 guests whilst a self-contained one-bedroom apartment is also included in the higher rate for an additional two guests.
Memorable evenings can be spent in the beautifully lit dining room where you can gaze at the cleverly designed glass feature overlooking the stream running through the room towards the waterwheel. In the summer, head outside and relax by the poolside cabana, enjoy meals together by the stone-built barbecue or prepare...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area
Close to the historic towns of Saintes, Cognac, Taillebourg, St Jean D'Angely and only 40 minutes from lovely beaches in the area, the Millhouse is in a wonderful location. There is easy access to Angoulême, the capital of the Charente, the major train stations, international airports, and only 4 hours from St Malo ferry port. The Charente Maritime region is exceptionally sunny, and has its own micro climate as a result of the Azores' anticyclone, making for mild springs and pleasant autumns. Along its 470 kilometers of coastline, the Charente Maritime has around 110 beautiful sandy beaches. Needless to say, seafood is a speciality here. It is steeped in culture and history and boasts 500 years of Maritime history from the imposing outline of Fort Boyard to the stocky coastal fortifications of La Rochelle. Inland and around the area it boasts over 400 stunning Romanesque churches. It is a place where the land meets the sea and is reflected in the beautiful shades of the wooden shutters adorning the honey coloured sandstone houses. The house sits among the farms and vineyards that produce the famous Pineau Charente aperitif grapes which produce a sweet wine and is located approximately 14 kilometers from the main Saintonge city of Saintes (saintonge means saintes area). Saintes was originally a roman town situated on the banks of the Charente river. At most times during the year there are various festivals and markets selling local produce, fresh fish, seafood,poultry, fruit and vegetables. The nearest major airport would be Bordeaux (Merignac Airport) which is about 1-1/2 hrs drive away. La Rochelle a slightly smaller airport is located 45 minutes drive away and there are many budget airlines flying from the UK to La Rochelle. Paris is about 4-1/2 hours drive from the mill. The mill is also accessible via TGV trains from Paris and the nearest station is Saintes or St Jean D'Angely. Both towns are about 15 - 20 minutes drive away.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : £1000 paid to the owner by bank transfer one month before arrival and refunded two weeks after departure, subject to full inspection.
- Arrival time : 5.00 p.m.
- Departure time : 10.00 a.m. (9.00 a.m. for the first floor bedrooms and the apartment).
- Energy costs included? : Included in the rental price.
- Energy costs included? : Yes.
- Linen & towels included? : Yes, including pool towels and bath robes.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Yes. However, guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or rubbish disposal required will be charged against the security deposit
- Insurance : Guests are advised to be in possession of a valid insurance policy, which covers them for cancellations, personal belongings, public liability and any accidental damage caused during their stay.
- Changeover day : Saturday in high season. Flexible during all other periods.
- Smoking Allowed? : Outside only.
- Minimum stay : 7 nights in high season. 3 nights during all other periods.
- Other Ts and Cs : The swimming pool is open 1st May – 30th September, 9am – 9pm.
- Pool heating charge? : No. The pool is heated approximately mid-April to mid-October. Please note that like all heated pools, pool heating and water temperature are reliant on weather and outside temperatures.
- Other Ts and Cs : Stag & Hen parties not allowed.
- Other Ts and Cs : Additional separate apartment supplement (min stay 4 nights except July and August when 7 nights. Must be booked in addition to the main house):
- - £140/night, bedroom only
- - £155/night, bedroom plus one z-bed for a child (z-bed and line costs all included).
- Heating costs included? : Yes.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Leave the property in the state you found it on arrival otherwise guests must pre-book a non-refundable end of stay cleaning charged as follows: main house: €350 / Apartment: €80. (To be paid with the security deposit)
- Internet access? : Wi-Fi internet access included.
- Security deposit :
- Pets welcome? : On request only and with prior agreement with the owner. If accepted, a pet supplement of €100 will apply (paid locally).
- Other Ts and Cs : Please note that all supplements must be paid in advance of the holiday together with the security deposit.
- Other Ts and Cs : Four additional beds (suitable for children) can be arranged on request.
- Other Ts and Cs : The pool is heated from from May until the end of October.
- Other Ts and Cs : Stag/hen parties and any special events are on request only and subject to prior arrangement with the owner and additional charges. Weddings are not permitted at the moment.
- Other Ts and Cs : Two highchairs and cots are available upon request.
- Other Ts and Cs : Guests will be required to sign a copy of the owner's rental terms before the arrival.