Chateau De La Chance at Pays de la Loire
Dating back to the 11th century, the Château de la Chance is a magical holiday château in an equally enchanting setting on the banks of the river Layon. The country château enjoys spacious grounds, has stunning gardens and a large, central swimming pool. The main château can sleep up 10-15 whilst 25 extra guests can be accommodated in the surrounding apartments and studios owned by the estate, making the maximum capacity 40 guests.
The château’s impressive character is preserved in its thick stone walls, high ceilings and stunning antique furniture yet it offers modern comforts while still retaining its original grandeur. Château de la Chance offer a unique opportunity to experience a slice of French life as the history and culture of the region live on. It’s an ideal venue for gatherings with family and friends, celebrations or even intimate weddings.
With kitchens in the château and apartments as well as two...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Outdoor Dining Area
Château de la Chance is located on the banks of the river Layon in the Loire Valley between two rural wine-producing villages, only a 30-minute drive from the city of Angers. This region, in the Maine-et-Loire department, is known as ‘Anjou’ and the château is located directly on the Anjou Wine Trail (“Route des Vins & Villages de l’Anjou”). The nearest village is an easy 1.2km walk from the château where you will find a supermarket, two boulangeries, an auberge (for lunch), butcher/caterer, bar/tabac, florist, ATM machine, cinema, garage, petrol station, a covered swimming pool and amenities such as a pharmacy, doctors and dentist. There is also a Farmer’s market on a Tuesday morning. In the other direction, another village just over 2km away has a bakery, bar/tabac, mini-supermarket and tennis courts. There is also a Michelin starred restaurant a 15-minutes away by car, as well as a good selection of restaurants and bars within a 10-15 minute drive. There are plenty of beautiful walks amongst the trails and vineyards directly across the road where you can follow the old railway track of 'Petit Anjou’. The Thouarcé - Chalonnes-sur-Loire route takes you to the very heart of the Coteaux du Layon and Aubance vineyards where you will discover a stunning landscape that is a patchwork of vines, mills, wine-growing estates and character properties. There are also further cycling trails along the Loire river, known as the famous Loire à Vélo. The owners have very good relationships with local wineries and they can help arrange a wine-tasting. Other activities include golf, horse-riding and boating on the Loire river which is just a 30-40 minute drive away. The region is crammed with rich, cultural heritage and some experiences you won't find anywhere else in France. The beautiful city of Angers (25km) on the River Maine features a wonderful 13th century castle and a lovely old town where you can explore the cobbled lanes filled with cafes and restaurants. On the Loire river, visit Saumur (40km), known for its famous equestrian school, Cadre Noir, and its excellent sparkling white wine. Also heading east you can visit the amazing Troglodyte caves in Rochemenier (22km) or the impressive Fontevraud Abbey (55km). Tours (120km) is another great day trip, a city filled with history and excellent restaurants and markets. Perhaps combine with one of the Loire’s famous châteaux such as Château de Villandry (96km) or Château Royal d'Amboise (150km) as well as many others nearby.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €1000 paid to the owner via PayPal at least two weeks in advance and refunded within two weeks after departure, subject to full inspection.
- Arrival time : After 3.00 p.m only.
- Departure time : By 11.00 a.m. only.
- Energy costs included? : Yes.
- > If not included, what are they? : Heating
- Linen & towels included? : All linen and bath towels are included in the rental price and will be changed every seven days for stays of more than one week.
- Pets welcome? : No.
- Changeover day : Flexible.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Yes. However, guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or rubbish disposal required will be charged against the security deposit.
- Smoking Allowed? : Outside only.
- Insurance : It is recommended that all guests take out insurance to cover against potential cancellation and any accidental damage caused during your stay at the property.
- Minimum stay : 3 nights
- Other Ts and Cs : Children who require a bed are counted as a guest and therefore must be part of the total charge.
- Other Ts and Cs : Please note that guests are kindly required to specify the purpose of the holiday (family reunion, birthday celebration, wedding etc.) at the time of booking. Weddings, stag/hen parties and other special events are on request only and subject to prior arrangement with the owner and additional charges.
- Internet access? : Internet access is available by the pool only. Due to the rural location, quick or strong access cannot be guaranteed.
- Heating costs included? : No, there is a charge of €100 per day for central heating, advance notice required.
- Minimum stay : 7 nights during July and August, 3 nights at all other times.
- Other Ts and Cs : The 10-person rate is for the château only. The 15 to 40-person rate includes the use of the apartments and studios which are allocated depending on the rate booked and number of guests based on double/twin share (some will remain closed unless you pay the 40-person rate). Please see the Features tab for further details. Supplements apply if guests require single occupancy of bedrooms in the apartments/studios - please enquire.
- Pool towels included? : Yes.
- Security deposit :
- Pool opening dates? : The swimming pool is open May to September from 9.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m. Cooler months may not be suitable for swimming.
- Pool heating charge? : No. Please note that like all heated pools, pool heating and water temperature are reliant on weather and outside temperatures.
- Other Ts and Cs : Please note that clients will be provided with a copy of the owner's rental terms during the booking process. Contact us for full T&Cs.