Chateau Les Douves at Normandie
With style reminiscent of a miniature Versailles, this striking chateau in Normandy conjures the grandeur of the 17th and 18th centuries from the moment you approach it through the tree-lined driveway. The chateau effortlessly combines classic touches (from the stonework in the garden to the Aubusson carpets and even an original c17th backgammon set), with the modern amenities you expect, such as jetted tubs, Nespresso machine, widescreen TV (with Netflix and DVD) and the heated pool, to name just a few.
This is no dark and dreary castle - large windows on both sides of the chateau let light stream in throughout the day. Sportsmen and women can compete on the private tennis court, do some laps in the pool, fish in the moat, and bicycles are also available for anyone wanting to leave the extensive grounds. The beach at Fontenay-Sur-Mer for example is within easy biking distance.
Through the gardens, 100m away from...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Tennis Courts: Community
Outdoor Dining Area
Chateau Les Douves lies in the heart of the wild and beautiful Cotentin Peninsula area in Normandy, in Fontenay-sur-Mer, 300km west of Paris. The closest train station is Valognes (12 km). You can discover and enjoy the local area by walking or biking through the beautiful and peaceful countryside. There are many bikes available at the chateau (free of charge) so we recommend exploring the local area this way as the roads are so quiet. During your stay you should visit the historic town of Valognes, particularly the Hotel de Beaumont and the famous Cider Museum. Here you will find everything you need during your stay (supermarket, shops, restaurants etc) and it is only ten minutes drive away from the chateau. The chateau is 3 miles from the beach and an 18 hole golf course created 30 years ago by the father of the current owner of the chateau! There are also several riding clubs around where lessons or private hire can be organised. <b>Distances</b> - 5 mins to sandy beaches - 15 mins to the D-DAY BEACHES (Utah Beach) - 15 min to world renowned village Sainte-Mere-Eglise - 1.5 hours to the Mont St Michel - 45 mins to The Bayeux Tapestry. - 2 hours to Honfleur. - 2 hours to Gardens at Giverny (Monet). - 2 hours to Rouen. - 3 hours to Paris by car or train.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €2000/£2000 paid to the owner by bank transfer or by cheque one month before arrival and refunded two weeks after departure, subject to full inspection.
- Arrival time : 4.00 p.m. onwards.
- Departure time : 10.00 a.m.
- Energy costs included? : Included except central heating (from October to April).
- Linen & towels included? : All linen included in the rental price.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Extra €350, payable locally. However, guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or rubbish disposal required will be charged against the security deposit.
- Changeover day : Saturday. All other changeover days on request.
- Smoking Allowed? : No smoking.
- Insurance : Guests are required to be in possession of a valid insurance policy, which covers them for cancellations, personal belongings, public liability and any accidental damage caused during their stay.
- Other Ts and Cs : No groups under 25 allowed. No stag/hen parties allowed. Names and ages of customers must be sent to the owner before arrival.
- Other Ts and Cs : The owner requires guests to sign a rental agreement prior to their arrival.
- Tax : French Visitors Tax payable locally (typically costs €1-€4 per adult per night - please enquire if exact amount is required).
- Other Ts and Cs : Please note that like all heated pools, pool heating and water temperature are reliant on weather and outside temperatures.
- Pets welcome? : Not allowed.