Chateau Du Comte at Normandie
In the delightful Normandy countryside sits the enchanting Château Du Comte. A lived in and loved family home, this 18th century château offers character as well as comfort in a beautiful setting.
In a strategically high position on the Cotentin Peninsular, the land became a fortified lookout in the 11th century in the time of William the Conqueror. It wasn’t until the mid-1750s that the magnificent château was built and it has had a fascinating history ever since, even playing an important role in WWII with both the Germans and Americans taking charge. In more recent times it has been lovingly restored back to life by its dedicated owners and is now a place where guests can create their own cherished memories in this happy home.
Sleeping up to 45 guests across the estate’s château, house and cottage, there’s a great sense of history all around you in the traditional yet homely interiors. In the main château,...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Children’s Play Area
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Outdoor Dining Area
In the heart of the Cotentin Peninsular, Château Du Comte is in a glorious part the Manche department in Normandy, only a 15-minute drive from the attractive port city of Cherbourg. There is a small pleasant town around 4km away where you will find your nearest café and bar whilst supermarkets can be found within a ten-minute drive towards Cherbourg. There are also restaurants within a 15-minute drive and wonderful weekly markets to visit in the delightful towns of Valognes (10km) and medieval Bricquebec (15km). Indeed, across this region you can discover all sorts of amazing local cuisine at local markets or in authentic country restaurants serving the very best Normandy cooking. Portbail (32km) also has some good restaurants, especially for sea-food lovers as well as a weekly market whilst Barneville-Carteret (31km), traditionally loved by Parisians in the summer, has some excellent cafes and restaurants (one with a Michelin star) as well as a sandy beach that has been awarded the ‘Blue-Flag’ for cleanliness. You could also take the boat across to Tatihou Island (a UNESCO World Heritage Site) to see the oyster beds or arrange a day out sampling local cheeses, artisan chocolate and of course the famous cider and calvados that Normandy is so well known for. Indeed, the Musée Régional du Cidre is in Valognes, only 10km away. Barfleur (30km), a beautiful fishing town, is one of France’s ‘Plus Beaux Villages’ where you can explore the pretty granite buildings and dine in one of the charming cafes or restaurants, many serving amazing local mussels (Blonde de Barfleur). Cherbourg (13km) will also delight young and old with its fascinating naval history, great museums (including the very popular La Cité de la Mer) and excellent restaurants. On a rainy day you could even take the family shopping at the impressive Les Eléis shopping centre, just on the outskirts, around a 15-minute drive away. This region offers wonderful walking both through the rustic countryside and coastal paths (including the G23 which passes through Barfleur). Cycling and mountain biking is also popular, as is horse-riding with many centres such as near Barneville-Carteret. Of course, there is also a great range of watersports at various points along the coast including surfing, sailing and diving. Further afield, the magnificent Mont Saint-Michel, around two hours by car, is a must place to visit for longer staying guests plus the historic town of Bayeux, with its famous tapestry, is just over an hour away. The D-Day Normandy landing beaches can also be visited with Omaha Beach (75km) and Arromanches (94km) both just over an hour away. The village of Sainte-Mère-Église (28km) is even nearer, also part of WWII history.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €750 paid in cash to the owner upon arrival and refunded upon departure, subject to full inspection.
- Arrival time : 4.00 p.m.
- Departure time : 11.00 a.m.
- Energy costs included? : No, there is an extra cost, paid locally.
- Heating costs included? : No, there is an extra cost, paid locally.
- Linen & towels included? : Not included. Hire of towels and bed linen is available outwith peak dates at an extra charge of £14 per person.
- > If not included, how much to hire? : £10pp ( not in school holidays)
- Pets welcome? : On request only and with prior agreement with the owner.
- Other Ts and Cs : Weddings, stag/hen parties and other special events are not allowed.
- Changeover day : Saturday.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Extra charge of €175 (€100 for the Chateau only) paid locally. However, guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or rubbish disposal required will be charged against the security deposit.
- Smoking Allowed? : No.
- Insurance : Guests are required to be in possession of a valid insurance policy, which covers them for cancellations, personal belongings, public liability and any accidental damage caused during their stay.
- Minimum stay : 3 nights except in high season, Christmas and New Year when it is 7 nights.
- Other Ts and Cs : Please note that only the 45-person price includes rental of the entire estate (Château, House and Cottage), whilst the 27-person price is for the Château only. Please see the 'Features' tab for full details.