Villa Du Roi at Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur
With an enviable location in the very heart of Villefranche-sur-Mer, this late 19th-century villa is a grand and beautiful place to stay, just a few steps from the Mediterranean, in an incredibly charming part of the French Riviera.
The residence was built by a famous king as a home for his mistress in an era when Belle Epoque style was the dominant architecture, as can be seen through the villa’s glorious terraces, beautiful balconies and elegant winding staircases. With an unusual shape, there are over 30 windows across the villa, some of which enjoy glorious views towards the sea.
Renovated to a very high standard, over three floors you’ll find five pretty bedrooms with chic furnishings, three of which have air-conditioning, and five luxurious bathrooms featuring high-end Spanish and Portuguese marble. During cooler months, dine with loved ones in the formal dining room or relax in the cosy...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Outdoor Dining Area
This enviable location is in the heart if Villefranche-sur-Mer, a beautiful seaside town between Nice and Monaco, in the Alpes-Maritimes department of the Cote d'Azur close to the Italian border. Step out of your villa gates and you only need to cross the road to buy morning pastries and fresh bread at the boulangerie and patisserie or pick up some food at the little grocery store. It’s just a five-minute walk to the old port where some of the best restaurants in the region can be found (such as La Mère Germaine) or head up the narrow lanes and steps towards the charming old quarter of the town. You’ll find an Italian influence coming through in many of the places to eat. The old town has beautiful ancient houses lining the steep cobbled streets and wind up and across through the town, passing arches under the houses – the best known is called Rue Obscura. The 16th Century citadel is also a remarkable place to visit with incredible sea-views. On a practical note, you can hire bikes near the main harbour (where you may sometimes see cruise ships coming in for the day) and there is also tennis in the town. Boat hire is available on the waterfront and no licence is needed for a small motorboat. There’s also a train station in the town with direct trains to Monaco via Beaulieu and Èze-sur-Mer and in the other direction Nice and onwards to Cannes. The main sandy beach, Plage des Marinières, is only a kilometre away or there’s a smaller beach with pebbles just south of the port, Plage de la Darse, near the citadel, which is good for snorkelling. There are two further beaches with calm waters in Beaulieu-sur-Mer, only 3.5km away, a delightful place for a lunch out and to visit the weekly Provencal market. The peninsular of Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat is incredibly beautiful and has some amazing walking paths to follow with breathtaking views. Discover some of the quiet, hard to reach beaches and some impressive villas where the very wealthy live. The Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild (3.5km) is also a stunning villa and museum definitely worthy of a visit. The charming city of Nice (4km) is an easy bus or train ride away with its Promenade du Paillon park running from the city to the sea, flower markets on Cours Saleya and many art galleries and museums. The medieval inland village of Èze (7km) is also a delightful day out where you will find shady squares, narrow lanes and mesmerizing sea views. Fine diners will appreciate the Michelin starred Chèvre D’Or as well as other restaurants with amazing panoramic views. Extravagant and unique Monaco (16km) can also be reached by train, car or bus. Shoppers will love the designer names on show in many of the principality’s boutiques or for a different experience immerse yourself in the daily Condamine Market, full of Provençal delights. Explore the warren of streets in the old town leading to the Palace, discover one of the many gardens or live the high-life in Monte Carlo’s cafès, restaurants and casinos.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €1000 paid to the owner via credit card and refunded on departure subject to inspection.
- Arrival time : 2:00 p.m.
- Departure time : 10:00 a.m.
- Energy costs included? : Yes.
- Heating costs included? : Yes.
- Linen & towels included? : Yes, excluding pool towels.
- Pool heating charge? : €250 per week. Please note that like all heated pools, pool heating and water temperature are reliant on weather and outside temperatures.
- Minimum stay : 4 nights.
- Changeover day : Flexible.
- Smoking Allowed? : Outside only.
- Pets welcome? : On request only and with prior agreement with the owner.
- Insurance : It is recommended that all guests take out insurance to cover against potential cancellation and any accidental damage caused during your stay at the property.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Yes. However, guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or garbage disposal required will be charged against the security deposit.
- Other Ts and Cs : Weddings, stag/hen parties and any special events (up to a maximum of 100 guests only) are on request only and subject to prior arrangement with the owner and additional charges.