Majestic 13th-Century Castle in French Wine Country
Walk through the wrought iron gates, under the 400-year-old chestnut tree and down the secluded path to discover a majestic 13th Century castle filled with historical charm and beautiful contemporary style. Located in the heart of the Burgundy wine region, near some of France’s most stunning towns and sights, Château Bourgogne is a truly magical place to escape to.
It’s a wonderful story – starting as a dream when the devoted owners spotted the castle in an estate agent’s window in Paris. Since then they have put their heart and soul into the château’s sensitive restoration and what they have created is a unique, unpretentious yet luxurious place to stay which has retained so much of its rich historical past.
With origins date as far back as 1000AD; the main château was built in medieval times and used to protect local inhabitants during times of war. It has a long and interesting history with various owners,...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Children’s Play Area
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Outdoor Dining Area
The magnificent castle is located in a small village. Here you will find a small shop selling essentials such as cereals, meats, beers and wine as well as bread, which you should order the day before (you can set up a regular order for your stay). There are tennis courts in the village which guests may use free of charge (the chateau has rackets you can borrow) and bikes from nearby Auxerre can be rented and delivered to your door. Horse-riding is within half an hour and there are some stunning hikes in the area. Keen walkers can discover a druidic menhir in the nearby forests just 2km from the castle. Noyers-su_Serein (12km), one of Frances ‘plus beaux villages’, is the nearest town with a wider choice of facilities such as a wonderful bakery, excellent restaurants and a brilliant shop selling the very best meats, terrines, snails and fine wines. The charming medieval town is full of history with pretty squares and fascinating buildings dating back to the 13th to 19th Centuries. You can wander down by the river, watch artists paint and have a delicious lunch in the picturesque setting. You’ll find two small supermarkets in Noyers as well as one with a greater choice of fish in L’Isle-sur-Serein (10km). This another gorgous riverside village, with an excellent supermarket, a bar,a higly regarded restaurant and a 24h petrol station. You can also visit local farms to pick up amazing fresh produce such as milk and cheese near Blacy (10km) and meats near Noyers at Clavisy (15km). Food lovers must visit the wonderful morning French markets to pick up all sorts of local delicacies to cook back at their château. Noyers has a market every Saturday and Wednesday plus in the autumn they host the famous Burgundy truffle market with stalls selling local produce and pottery. Others include Avallon (25km) on a Wednesday, Chablis (36km) on a Sunday morning, Auxerre (52km) on a Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. A little further afield are markets in Dijon (110km) four times a week on a Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday and Beaune (106km) on a Saturday. Burgundy’s wine regions now have a World Heritage status with the beautiful Chablis just over half an hour away, producing one of the world’s most famous white wines. A day’s wine course with tastings and lunch can be arranged at one of the finest producers in the town or simply visit the domaines, boutiques and specialist shops that are scattered over the delightful place. The château can arrange for a top-class sommelier, who has worked with world-class chefs, to spend time with you to advise you on the best vineyards to visits and wines to try. Also nearby you have the Abbey de Fontenay (30km), dating back to 1118, the oldest preserved Cistercian abbey in the world and the idyllic town of Vézelay (40km), with boutiques, galleries, cafes and flower filled alleyways and courtyards. Both are World Heritage sites and can easily be reached by car in under 45 minutes. The famous Grottes d’Arcy (34km) with amazing ancient cave paintings are also within a short drive. You can also reach Paris in just one hour by taking the TGV train from nearby Montbard (24km), a wonderful day trip for all the family whether you want to take in the city’s galleries, stroll in the magnificent parks or simply see some of the sights of one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Other fantastic places to visit during your stay include the ancient Roman town of Auton (90km), a must-see in Burgundy, Beaune (106km), the historic wine capital of Burgundy and Dijon (110km), also famous for outstanding wines and stunning architecture.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €900 charged to client’s credit card by the owner before arrival and refunded two weeks after departure, subject to full inspection.
- Arrival time : 5.00-7.00 p.m.
- Departure time : 10.00 a.m.
- Energy costs included? : Yes.
- Heating costs included? : Yes, except in winter (approx. from November to March). Open fireplaces and chopped wood included.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Yes, within reason. The owners reserve the right to deduct a surcharge from the security deposit to cover any extra cleaning costs that may be required.
- Linen & towels included? : Yes, including pool towels.
- Pets welcome? : On request only and subject to prior agreement with the owner .
- Smoking Allowed? : Outside only.
- Minimum stay : 5 nights, except from June to end of September when 7 nights.
- Changeover day : Flexible, outside May to end of September when Saturday (during this period, other days may be possible on request only). No Sunday changeover.
- Other Ts and Cs : Weddings and celebrations are on request only and subject to prior arrangement with the owner and additional charges. Stag and hen parties are not allowed.
- Other Ts and Cs : Open from May to end of September (cooler months may not be suitable for swimming).