Renovated 17th-Century Château with Modern Amenities
To stay in the historic Château de L’Empereur will be an unforgettable experience. Set in 125 acres of glorious parkland, guests will not only stay in a sensitively renovated 17th-century château but also experience the 5* hospitality of its outstanding hosts.
The château has a fascinating history: Emperor Joseph II, the brother of Marie-Antoinette, stayed there in the late 18th century and it also played a vital role as a hospital for the wounded in World War II. In more recent years it has been beautifully restored to its former glory with 16 classically styled bedrooms, each with their own impressive bathroom plus two exquisite drawing rooms, a romantic dining room and a welcoming chef’s kitchen-diner.
Despite the rich historical ambience, splendid 21st-century features include an indoor swimming pool, perfect for winter days by the pool’s roaring fire, a large Jacuzzi, two saunas, a yoga space plus a spa and...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Outdoor Dining Area
Château de L’Empereur is located in 125 acres of beautiful parkland featuring woods, fields, ponds and wildlife such as rabbits, deer and birds. It’s only 1.7km to the local village where you will find a bakery, a couple of restaurants and other shops including two supermarkets on the outskirts, close to the château. The village has an interesting history relating to World War Two and is included in some of the Battle of Normany tour guides of the region. This is a fantastic location for exploring the nearby sights of Normandy. It is an especially great base for exploring the D-Day Landing beaches which are just a short drive away. Arromanches (36km) and Omaha (47km) are examples of two beaches of historical importance as well as the batteries and cliffs of Longues-sur-Mer (35km) just north of Bayeux. The historic town of Bayeux (27km) is well known for the UNESCO classified Bayeux Tapestry, depicting the Norman’s conquest of England. It is a beautiful town with many renowned restaurants, historical buildings and interesting museums about this fascinating part of Normandy. Heading north some of Normandy’s prettiest towns are along the coastline such as the elegant seaside resort of Deauville (77km) and Honfleur (93km), one of Normandy’s most picturesque spots, making the perfect coastal day trip. Along the coast you’ll also find numerous long wide sandy beaches within half an hour or head to the rugged cliffs a little further away. Sand yachting is very popular on the coast with centres in Asnelles (37km) plus there are other watersports such as kayaking, diving, sailing and stand-up paddling nearby. Golf-lovers can enjoy a number of stunning Norman golf courses across this region, including Omaha Beach Golf (36km) whilst there are some beautiful walks plus cycling trails to follow. Horse-riding is a popular pursuit in the region with the particularly well-regarded Pole International Du Cheval within an hours drive. Of course, Normandy is the home of timeless villages, idyllic châteaux and amazing regional cuisine. Drive east to the archetypal Norman village of Beuvron-en-Auge with its half-timbered houses and an award winning typical restaurant, combined with a visit to Château de Crèvecoeur and museum (62km). Other worthy châteaux in the region include Balleroy Castle (24km) and Château Vendeuvre (60km), classed as one of France’s historic monuments. Be sure to visit one of the fine Calvados cellars and learn how the drink is made and combine with a farm that offers regional dairy products to sample; private tours can be arranged. Other highlights include one of France's oldest University cities, Caen (30km), the seaside town of Deauville (77km) from the 'la belle époque' era and the stunning granite island of Mont St Michel (100km).
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Access and Accessibility
- Building Elevator
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €5000 paid to the owner by bank transfer one month before arrival and refunded two weeks after departure, subject to full inspection.
- Arrival time : 5.00 p.m.
- Departure time : 11.00 a.m.
- Energy costs included? : Yes.
- Heating costs included? : Yes.
- Linen & towels included? : Yes, changed every four nights.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Yes. However, guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or garbage disposal required will be charged against the security deposit.
- Changeover day : Flexible.
- Minimum stay : 3 nights.
- Pets welcome? : Not allowed.
- Smoking Allowed? : No.
- Other Ts and Cs : The outdoor swimming pool is open from 1st May to 30th September.
- Other Ts and Cs : Weddings, stag/hen parties and any special events are are only possible when booking the whole estate. Any event rental is on request only and subject to prior arrangement with the owner and additional charges. A supplement will apply in the event of guests in addition to those staying at the château.
- Tax : French Visitors Tax payable locally (typically costs €1-€3 per adult per night- please enquire if exact amount is required).
- Pool towels included? : Yes.