Historic Two Bedroom Home in the Heart of Edinburgh
Rock House is an iconic and historic building on Calton Hill and featured in various travel magazines such as Conde Nast, Luxury Traveller & The Telegraph as a top 10 place to stay.
Built in 1756 for a Merchant, Rock House is a historic gem in the heart of Edinburgh. The terrace apartment has been tastefully re-decorated to its Victorian heyday when David Octavius Hill set up his pioneering Calotype photographic studio with Robert Adamson.
A home from home in history!
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Rock House is a unique landmark house boasting spectacular panoramic views of Edinburgh from its elevated position and is conveniently located just a few moments walk from Princes Street. The house has a fascinating history and now as a self-catering holiday let both the views and its heritage can be enjoyed by those seeking a exceptional place to stay in the city. Built in the 1750s, Rock House is reputed to be one of the oldest houses in Edinburgh’s new town. It came to worldwide fame as the home of David Octavius Hill, the artist and pioneering photographer who in 1843 together with Robert Adamson developed the calotype process at Rock House. Both Hill and Adamson are credited with the origination of photography as an art form - taking the camera into the landscape and for the first time photographing people in their natural habitat. Rock House remained in continuous use as a photographer's studio from the 1840s up until the 1950s. Recently renovated, it has now returned to its former glory and can be enjoyed by members of the public for short stays and holidays.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 30 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) reservation is canceled within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 30 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 30 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation, the remaining 50% will be charged 30 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 30 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 30 days before arrival: 100% refund.
- All house rules are in the manual please read.
- No Smoking
- No Parties
- No Animals
- Please treat the house with respect.