Castello Maddalena at Umbria
With its majestic hilltop position overlooking the Tiber valley, ancient Castello Maddalena offers a truly unforgettable escape. This 11th-century castle, adjoining church and beautiful new annexe have undergone a thorough and careful renovation to become a truly impressive place for rest and relaxation. Breathtaking views over rolling countryside, hills, vineyards and olive groves can be enjoyed both inside and out, with Castello Maddalena being surrounded by expansive gardens.
Just some of the castle interior’s many historic features include gorgeous reclaimed terracotta floor tiles, vaulted ceilings, ancient frescoes and marble stairs. The church showcases a range of hand-painted decorations and is a wonderfully romantic place for special occasions or for simply stopping and taking in the beauty and history.
There are six luxurious bedrooms at Castello Maddalena, and a further four in a equally wonderful annexe,...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Outdoor Dining Area
Surrounded by the lush hills, valleys, olive groves, vineyards, lakes and rivers of a huge private estate, the villa offers total peace and tranquillity. Step outside and be exploring the beautiful landscapes on long country walks in mere moments. Despite Castello Maddalena being tucked away in such a rural idyll, amenities are easy to reach. The nearest village is less than 10 minutes away by car and is where you'll find amenities such as shops and a bank. The closest restaurant is located on the estate itself - and is just five minutes away by car from the villa. The popular city of Perugia is well-known for its chocolate, so it's definitely one for those with a sweet tooth! It's also full of medieval and Renaissance buildings and structures. Highlights include the Gothic cathedral, Priori Palace and the marble fountain carved with biblical scenes and zodiac signs, Fontana Maggiore. Gubbio is a pretty medieval town with a particularly fun feature – the Funivia Colle Eletto. This stand-up cable car takes you up to the top of Monte Ingino, taking in some breathtaking scenery along the way. Waiting for you at the top is Sant'Ubaldo Basilica and views over the Apennines Mountains. Città di Castello is the dream place to visit for art lovers. The city boasts a wealth of Renaissance architecture and centuries of history. The 14th-century Church of San Domenico is home to many 15th-century frescoes by some of Italy's most-famous Renaissance painters. Head to Palazzo Vitelli alla Cannoniera to stroll around the Municipal Art Gallery (Pinacoteca) and take in even more works by painters such as Raphael, Lorenzetti and Signorelli. Other must-visits in the city include the Cathedral of Saint Florido with its bell tower, and the Cathedral Museum. Lake Trasimeno is a natural beauty, with idyllic stretches of water and an array of wildlife. The town of Castiglione del Lago offers a sandy beach with the chance to hire sun loungers, pedalos and canoes.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €1500 charged to client’s credit card by the owner as a pre-authorisation upon arrival and refunded two weeks after departure, subject to full inspection.
- Arrival time : 4.00 p.m.
- Departure time : 10.00 a.m.
- Energy costs included? : Yes.
- Linen & towels included? : Yes (towels are changed mid-week and linen is changed mid-stay for bookings of two consecutive weeks).
- Pets welcome? : Small dogs are welcome on request only and with prior agreement with the owner.
- Changeover day : Saturday. All other changeover days on request.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Yes and daily maid service included. However, guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or rubbish disposal required will be charged against the security deposit.
- Smoking Allowed? : Outside only.
- Insurance : It is recommended that all guests take out insurance to cover against potential cancellation and any accidental damage caused during your stay at the property.
- Minimum stay : 7 nights (short-breaks may be possible on request outside of high season).
- Heating costs included? : Included except in low season when charged on consumption, if required.
- Tax : Italian Visitors Tax payable locally in cash (typically costs €1-€3 per adult per night- please enquire if exact amount is required).
- Internet access? : WI-Fi internet access included.
- Pool towels included? : Yes.
- Pool opening dates? : The pool is open approximately May to September. Please note that pool opening dates are subject to local weather conditions and pool maintenance requirements and that cooler months may not be suitable for swimming.
- Pool heating charge? : No, pool heating included at standard temperature from June to September. Please note that like all heated pools, pool heating and water temperature are reliant on weather and outside temperatures.
- Other Ts and Cs : Weddings and any special events are on request only and subject to prior arrangement with the owner and additional charges.
- Other Ts and Cs : The 12-person price includes the main villa/castle only whilst the 20-person price also includes the annexe.
- Other Ts and Cs : The main villa/castle is air-conditioned throughout. The annexe features air-conditioning in three bedrooms only.