Castelli di Napoleone at Umbria
Castelli di Napoleone is an exquisite estate comprising of a medieval main castle with a stunning octagonal tower built by emperor Frederick II of Swabia, striking tower building, and separate events-only castle, set within 1500 acres of parkland offering nature reserve, lakes, river and farm in the rolling Umbrian hills.
Brimming with opulence and heritage, this owner-managed abode carries all the hallmarks of prestige from generations of noble family ownership. It offers not just sumptuous accommodation, but true hospitality and warmth, from ingredients sourced from the working farm available to buy, to organised local visits drawing upon in-depth knowledge of the local area.
Like a vision rising from the pages of a fairy-tale book, the castle has remained in the same family (descendants of the Bonapartes), since 1901. Set within privacy and seclusion, the majestic estate is faithful to the original structure,...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area
The Castelli di Napoleone castles are nestled in a rural spot, in the heart of Umbria, just thirty minutes drive to the Tuscan border, set mid-way between Rome and Florence (each two hours drive away). Both Assisi and Perugia are within easy reach - Assisi, birthplace of St Francis, offers a mystical spot seeped with history and a beautiful historical abbey, whilst the medieval Perugia comes alive during the summer with festivals, music and theatre. This unique residence offers both rural tranquillity as well as easy access to the peaceful close-by village of Ponte Pattoli, which has all essential amenities including bars, shops and eateries, whilst sports activities are plentiful nearby (riding, tennis and 18 hole golf course.) The beauty of this unique home is that it offers so much within its grounds, that guests have ample to do on their doorstep - the estate has a myriad of walking and biking trails, it offers truffle and mushroom hunting as well as yoga lessons, prepared picnics for luscious walks within unspoilt nature, along ancient trees, wild flowers, lakes, streams and a 6 kilometre stretch of the Tiber river. The concierge team has excellent local knowledge and can organise anything from cooking classes, to wine and chocolate tastings, or visits to pretty local towns. From thermal pools to medieval cathedrals and olive oil museum, Umbria has an intriguing amount of history to discover. Nearby Todi is 30 minutes away, Spoleto is 45 minutes away and Orvieto is 60 minutes away. Spoleto boasts a colourful and intriguing history as well as artistic heritage dating back to Roman times; the town itself offers authentically Umbrian winding streets, artisan cafes, crafts-based shopping, as well as the castle and many churches which are centuries-old. Spoleto is known today for its annual summer Festival Dei Due Mondi, a showcase to the region’s music, dance, opera and theatre. Orvieto’s old town is a fascinating series of winding streets and piazzas with a colourful weekly market; the centrepiece is the Duomo, with an underground tunnelling system, and also worth visiting is the antique papal residence, the “Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo.” Lake Trasimeno, rich with history and cultural heritage is approximately 30 minutes distance. This is a nature lover’s haven, and is home to wild ducks, cormorants, kites and kingfishers. An area of outstanding beauty, visitors will marvel at the majestic woods, sunflower and corn fields, vineyards and olive groves, whilst agriculture is still carried out following traditional techniques. Several charming towns are located on Lake Trasimeno, as well as its islands, visitors can enjoy unspoilt nature and boat trips on the lake. From Romanesque architecture, to hilltop fortresses, to the funicular up the rock-face of Orient, to the enchanting Fracassi Caves, to the medieval basilica at Assisi, to one of Umbria’s oldest towns Gubbio, Umbria is a gem of discovery, with so much for visitors, along with unfussy yet delicious regional cuisine.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €2000 paid in cash to the owner upon arrival and refunded upon departure, subject to full inspection. This amount is €1500 if renting the castle only.
- Arrival time : Between 4.00 p.m and 7.00 p.m.
- Departure time : 10.00 a.m.
- Energy costs included? : Yes, except heating and telephone usage.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Yes. However, guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or rubbish disposal required will be charged against the security deposit.
- Heating costs included? : Extra cost, paid locally (€30-€70 per day, depending on season). Firewood is also available to purchase, payable locally.
- Linen & towels included? : Yes (bed-linen changed weekly, towels changed twice weekly).
- Pool towels included? : Yes, changed twice-weekly.
- Pets welcome? : On request only and with prior agreement with the owner. If accepted, a pet supplement of €200 per pet per stay will apply (payable locally).
- Minimum stay : 7 nights from mid-June to mid-September. 5 nights during all other periods. If renting just the castle (15-person price) then the minimum stay is 7 nights at all times.
- Changeover day : Saturday.
- Internet access? : Wi-Fi internet access included.
- Smoking Allowed? : Outside only.
- Tax : Italian Visitors Tax payable locally in cash (typically costs €1-€3 per adult per night- please enquire if exact amount is required).
- Pool opening dates? : The pool is open approximately mid-May to mid/late-September. Early opening is on request only and subject to a supplement, payable locally. Please note that pool opening dates are subject to local weather conditions and pool maintenance requirements and that cooler months may not be suitable for swimming.
- Other Ts and Cs : Highchair and cot are available.
- Other Ts and Cs : Weddings, stag/hen parties and any special events are on request only and subject to prior arrangement with the owner and additional charges.
- Other Ts and Cs : A/C is in all bedrooms and panoramic veranda.
- Other Ts and Cs : Air-conditioning is only in bedrooms and in the panoramic conservatory.
- Other Ts and Cs : The 15-person price is for the main castle only (7 bedrooms) whilst the 30-person price also includes the bedrooms in the 'Guest Tower'.
- Insurance : Guests are required to be in possession of a valid insurance policy, which covers them for cancellations, personal belongings, public liability and any accidental damage caused during their stay.