Elizabethan Rustic Country Home with Amazing History in Shropshire
Chevaliers Gatehouse, a luxury holiday home in Shropshire, combines the glories of the past with the comforts of the present. In a secluded hamlet near Bridgnorth and Much Wenlock, this Elizabethan era gatehouse includes a courtyard and private garden. Enjoy the beautiful flower beds, fruit trees and a bubbling fountain on a quiet morning, or explore the region’s historic sites, scenic walks and gastro hotspots.
Chevaliers reflects its storied past. The expansive suites are named after Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and Prince Rupert, two of the home’s many illustrious visitors. Nephew to Charles I, Prince Rupert slept in the enormous second story bedroom while he commanded royalist troops during the Civil War. A set of linen tapestries in the gatehouse honours him. While the two bedrooms will make you feel like royalty, the updated bathroom fittings, fully equipped modern kitchen and digital TV will keep you in...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Outdoor Dining Area
Chevaliers Gatehouse is a secluded hamlet deep in the Shropshire countryside, but lies within four and a half miles of historic Bridgnorth and four miles of the pretty market town of Much Wenlock. Next to the Hall is the historic Norman church of St Michael with its 12th century wall paintings and famous 12th century font. The Gatehouse is reached along a winding narrow country lane that ends at this historic estate. After visiting Chevaliers Gatehouse with the artist John Piper for Shropshire : A Shell Guide (published 1951), John Betjeman wrote that the hall was ‘best approached by foot, horse or bicycle; only so can its peace and various landscape be appreciated’. Chevaliers Gatehouse remains a haven of peace and rural beauty today – an ideal place to explore Shropshire and the Heart of England, from the gastronomic centre of Ludlow to the Ironbridge Gorge Museum, the Shropshire hills and many other historic houses and gardens, including the Dower House Gardens in nearby Morville of Dr Katherine Swift (author of the bestselling book The Morvile Hours) and the world famous nursery gardens of David Austin Roses. Bridgnorth, four miles away, is an attractive market town famous for its funicular railway and the many flights of steps which connect the High and Low Towns. Regular steam trains also run from here along the Severn Valley Railway. The town has many charming pubs and bistro restaurants, as well as high street shops, a supermarket and a cinema. Much Wenlock, five miles away, has been voted the second most beautiful town in England. You can stroll around the ruins and grounds of the ancient Wenlock and Buildwas Abbeys (Wenlock Abbey was one of the most important in the 15th century), go antique shopping, visit the local Olympian museum, browse for second hand books (Wenlock Books won the coveted Independent Bookseller of the Year award in 2006) or go shopping at the artisan shops and galleries or the traditional butcher, Ryan’s, that has won a national award for Best Butcher in Britain. Half an hour’s drive away to the south-west is historic Ludlow, one of the gastro capitals of England with award winning Michelin restaurants, secluded gastro-pubs, historic market square and famous castle ruins where the two ‘Princes of the Tower’ were brought up in the late 15th century. In April 1483, the eldest of the two princes is reported to have stayed at Chevaliers Gatehouse on his fateful journey to the Tower of London after the death of his father Edward IV. To the north-west, also half an hour away, is historic Shrewsbury, birthplace of Charles Darwin, with its old cathedral, market squares, theatre and riverside restaurants. Chevaliers Gatehouse is conveniently located for access to the M5, M6, M54 and M40 motorways. The nearest station is fifteen miles away with frequent inter-city trains from London, Manchester and Glasgow and services to Wales and the West Country. The nearest airport is Birmingham International Airport, approximately 40 miles away.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : £100 this is to be paid directly to the owner in cash on arrival.
- Arrival time : 4 pm onwards.
- Departure time : 10 am.
- Energy costs included? : Included in the rental price.
- Linen & towels included? : All linen and bath towels are included in the rental price.
- Pets welcome? : A maximum of 2 well-behaved dogs are allowed on a request basis. A deposit of £250 is needed which will be returned at the end of their stay provided the dogs are infact well behaved. Guests are required to clean up after their dogs and keep them on leads when on public footpaths.
- End of stay cleaning included? : Included. Please leave the property how you found it.
- Smoking Allowed? : No smoking in the property.
- Insurance : It is recommended that all guests take out insurance to cover against potential cancellation and any accidental damage caused during your stay at the property.
- Security deposit : £750 for 3 days, £1250 for 7 or more days. Credit card authorisation required, it is refunded in full subject to a damage inspection on departure.
- Other Ts and Cs : Please note that bookings for Chevaliers Gatehouse can only be made a maximum of 3 months prior to travel.
- Changeover day : Flexible
- Minimum stay : 3-nights. 5-nights across July & August & Festive dates.