Blackstairs Mountain House at County Kilkenny
Blackstairs Mountain House offers a contemporary take on a traditional building; blending both ancient and new styles for a modern-rustic, independent home nestled within a spot of unparalleled tranquil seclusion.
Brimming with rural charm, set off the beaten track down a country lane, this striking home casts an impressive silhouette, with floor-to-ceiling glass fused with local timber in an atrium style, for a discreet and sympathetic blend of ancient stone, slate and local raw materials.
Set on a hilltop location within the ruins of a rustic farmhouse on the Kilkenny/ Carlow borders, there are views across Mount Leinster and the Castlecomer hills. On a clear day, visitors can look across to the Wicklow Mountains.
Imagine sitting back on the terrace overlooking the panoramic views illuminated with buttercup fields as the sun softens over the hills with a glass of wine; this home offers true...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Outdoor Dining Area
Blackstairs Mountain House is ideally placed for outdoors and nature lovers; from this stunning home, visitors can amble out for river or mountain walks (rivers Barrow and Nore, Mount Leinster, Brandon Hill and the Blackstairs Mountains) exploring the Counties of Kilkenny, Carlow, Wexford and Waterford. Blackstairs Mountain House is an artist’s, or writer’s paradise. The area is known for it festivals: music, arts and cultural events such as the Festival of Writing and Ideas in Borris House, County Carlow. It is also within easy reach of craft centres, individual craft workshops, historic sites, the Wexford coast line and both the Mount Juliet and Borris golf courses. County Kilkenny is recognised for its arts and crafts population. Dublin is just an hour and a half away. Keen equestrians will find there is ample opportunity for riding, golfers and those keen on fishing will also be spoilt for choice. This home offers access to country living at its finest! Waterford is Ireland’s oldest city, whilst Kilkenny is Ireland’s medieval capital. South East Ireland offers sublime natural beauty, rich and intriguing history, diverse and creative culture and extremely hospitable and friendly locals!
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €500 paid to the owner and to be refunded at the end of your stay subject to a damage inspection on departure
- Arrival time : 4pm
- Departure time : 10am
- Energy costs included? : Yes, included in the daily rent is €4 of electricity. Please note that usage of more than €4 per day is charged at 23 cents per unit.
- Heating costs included? : A charge is made for oil which heats the water and in Winter heats the house. There are also solar panels which provide some hot water in the warmer months. Wood for the stove is €10 per load as required. We require that people use this properly seasoned wood for the stove. In the colder months, depending on how hot people want the house to be, extra oil charges can come in at between €20 to €35 per day and electricity between €5 and €15 per day, again depending on how hot the house is kept.
- Linen & towels included? : Yes, included in rental price
- End of stay cleaning included? : Yes, included in rental price
- Internet access? : Yes, Wi-Fi connection
- Smoking Allowed? : No smoking
- Minimum stay : Please note that there is a 2-night minimum stay (3 nights over Christmas & New Year)
- Pets welcome? : Sorry, no pets allowed
- Other Ts and Cs : Please note that children under the age of 8 are not permitted at this property due to the open plan staircase, the two interior balconies and the pond.