Outstanding 17th Century Historic Chateau in Dordogne
Outstanding historic château in Dordogne with over 60 acres of glorious grounds and a lake, between the Vézère and Dordogne rivers.
The château dates back to 17th-century and typically Périgordian in style. There’s an air of fairy-tale charm as you wander the grounds, gazing at the mesmerising château framed by ancient trees and splashes of summer colour from the gardens.
Inside, the historic ambiance continues across two wings and separate pigeonnier, with 9 bedrooms. In the oldest wing, lounge by the open fire and a dining room wonderful for feasts prepared in the well-equipped kitchen.
Five elegant bedrooms found in this wing include a grand master suite at the top of a tower with panoramic views from each window. The second wing and separate Pigeonnier offer a further 4 bedrooms, some with pretty balconies/terraces and a large living room leading on to a delightful round terrace with remarkable valley...
Choose Your Dates
At a glance
At a glance
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Outdoor Dining Area: Private
Home Theatre System
Outdoor Dining Area
Set in over 60 acres of vast grounds featuring fields, forests and a small lake, Château des Lauzes enjoys an incredible location in the heart of the Périgord Noir, between the Vézère and Dordogne rivers. There are walking and mountain biking trails in the estate which lead to other paths in the neighbouring countryside. Despite this rural location, you are near two villages, the nearest being 3.5km with a couple of good restaurants and a bakery. The other village, 4km away, is set on the hillside above the Dordogne river. Explore the old town, dating back to the 12th century, wandering around the steep lanes and perhaps stopping off for a coffee in a charming café or a spot of lunch. This medieval village has an interesting history and there is lots of beautiful architecture to admire as well as amazing valley and river views from the top. There’s a lovely market on a Sunday morning which shouldn’t be missed. There are also supermarkets and shops in a commercial area around the village which are useful amenities to have so close, just a ten-minute drive away. Within ten minutes you can also be on the banks of the Dordogne river, hiring canoes and kayaks or simply sitting by the riverside with a picnic of regional delights picked up from a local market. There are boat trips along the Dordogne river, departing from some of the idyllic riverside villages such as Beynac-et-Cazenac (14km) and La Roque-Gageac (19km). The Vézère river is also a wonderful spot for canoeing with Le Bugue (12km) just fifteen minutes by car (visit on a Tuesday morning for market day!). Not to mention the amazing pre-historic attractions across the Vézère valley, many of which are UNESCO World Heritage sites. The village of Les Eyzies is only 8km away with its Musée National de Préhistoire. There are also many fascinating caves in the area to explore - the most famous being pre-historic Lascaux, 30km away, with others even nearer such as the Gouffre de Proumeyssac (10km). Not to mention the Dordogne's awe-inspiring châteaux, some of which are possible to visit such as Château de Beynac (16km) and Château des Milandes (14km) with its wonderful gardens. Garden lovers should also visit Les Jardins de Marqueyssac (17km) or the incredible Jardins du Manoir d'Eyrignac (33km). Sarlat-la-Canéda (20km) is known for its beautiful architecture, excellent restaurants and wonderful markets. Some of the France’s ‘Plus Beaux Villages’ are also nearby such as Domme (24km), Saint-Amand-de-Coly (37km) and Monpazier (35km).
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Payment and Cancellation - 90 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) cancellation is within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made at least 10 days before arrival.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 90 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation (non-refundable), the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 90 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 90 days before arrival: initial 50% payment is forfeited; the remaining 50% will not be charged.
- For guests paying with points more than 90 days before arrival: 50% of points taken are forfeited; the remaining 50% will be refunded within 5-10 business days.
- Security deposit : €1200 paid via bank transfer to the owner before arrival and refunded two weeks after departure, subject to full inspection.
- Arrival time : 5.00 p.m.
- Departure time : 9.00 a.m.
- Energy costs included? : Yes.
- Heating costs included? : Extra €750 per week, on request (payable locally).
- End of stay cleaning included? : Yes and mid-stay clean included for stays of more than one week. Please note guests are required to leave the accommodation clean, tidy and in the same condition as on their arrival. Any extra cleaning, laundry, maintenance and/or rubbish disposal required will be charged against the security deposit.
- Linen & towels included? : Yes and changed mid-stay for stays of more than one week.
- Pool towels included? : Yes.
- Pool opening dates? : The pool is open approximately May to end-October. Please note that pool opening dates are subject to local weather conditions and pool maintenance requirements and that cooler months may not be suitable for swimming.
- Pool heating charge? : No. Please note that like all heated pools, pool heating and water temperature are reliant on weather and outside temperatures.
- Pets welcome? : Not allowed.
- Smoking Allowed? : No.
- Changeover day : Saturday. All other changeover days on request.
- Minimum stay : 7 nights. All other durations on request.
- Other Ts and Cs : Weddings and other special events are on request only and subject to prior arrangement with the owner and additional charges. Stag/hen parties are not permitted.
- Security deposit :
- Other Ts and Cs : Please note that like all heated pools, pool heating and water temperature are reliant on weather and outside temperatures.
- Other Ts and Cs : Quiet and non-intrusive owners live in a lodge on the estate, they will be very happy to help.
- Tax : French Visitors Tax payable locally (typically costs €1-€3 per adult per night- please enquire if exact amount is required).
- Insurance : Guests are required to be in possession of a valid insurance policy, which covers them for cancellations, personal belongings, public liability and any accidental damage caused during their stay.
- Pool heating charge? : No. The pool will be heated during colder periods and can also be heated on request during the summer months. Please note that like all heated pools, pool heating and water temperature are reliant on weather and outside temperatures.