Historic Toll House in a prime spot near the CBD
- 4 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- 8 Guests
Embrace Hobart’s colonial heritage in this architecturally reimagined c1850 residence that originally functioned as a toll house on the north road out of Hobart. Fusing modern luxury with a cosy cottage ambience, it features two separate living spaces, stylish modern finishes and furnishings plus a covered deck, central courtyard and rear lawn with a majestic pine tree. Only 3km from Hobart’s CBD, it is a short stroll to parks and the riverfront and a walk to North Hobart’s trendy cuisine scene.
A landmark residence defined by its alluring gabled weatherboard facade dressed with elaborate original timber detailing, it was built in 1850 as the toll house for one of only two roads leading north from Hobart. Ruben Joseph, a tailor sent to Van Diemen’s Land as a convict for receiving stolen goods, was awarded a tender to operate the toll house. Known as a local character, his enterprises included issuing his own trade tokens to...
Enjoy the comforts of home and beyond with these distinctive features.
All Stays Include
We believe certain amenities should be standard. Every home comes outfitted with these best-in-class essentials for a worry-free stay.
Beds & Bath
Review bedroom arrangements to make sure each is right for you. Full and half bathrooms are shown as one total.
Free Parking: On-site
Free Parking: Off-site
Washer In Home
Children's Books and Toys
Placed near the northern end of picturesque parklands forming Queens Domain just 3km from Hobart’s CBD, it is only a 10 minute stroll to the Derwent River, Cornelian Bay waterfront walks and the Intercity Cycleway that links with MONA. There’s a bus at the doorstep that meanders into the Hobart CBD and Swanston Street Playground is only 250m down the road. Newtown Plaza, for all your shopping needs, is only 650m away, the renowned New Town Hill Street Grocer with its fresh produce and gourmet local delights is a 12 minute wander down the road and North Hobart’s cosmopolitan hotpot of eateries are just over a 15 minute stroll from the doorstep. If you’re into biking, you can pop next door and explore the picturesque Queens Domain Park or jump on the nearby Intercity Cycle Way that links Hobart CBD (3km’s away) to MONA (11km up the river). If you have a car, its only five minutes from the CBD where parking is a breeze. From there, everything from and Constitution Dock and the ferry to Mona to historical buildings and Salamanca Markets with vibrant bars, brasseries and fine-dining venues are only a short stroll away. While you’re behind the wheel, Mount Wellington is only a short drive away, it’s where the wilderness meets the city and where the best views over the Derwent and Hobart take centre-stage.
Let’s try that again.
We’re having trouble connecting to Google Maps. Please try refreshing your browser or trying your search again.
Things To Know
Access and Accessibility
- Ground Floor
Payment and Cancellation - 30 Day Policy
- Guests may cancel for free provided that: (1) reservation is canceled within 48-hours of reservation request, and (2) reservation request was made 11 days before arrival.
- 30 days or less prior to arrival: Guests pay 100% at time of reservation.
- More than 30 days before arrival: Guests pay 50% at time of reservation, the remaining 50% will be charged 30 days prior to arrival.
- For guests paying with points: 100% of payment will be deducted at time of reservation, once booking is verified within 48 hours.
- 30 days or less prior to arrival: No refund issued, unless ‘Grace Period’ applies.
- More than 30 days before arrival: 100% refund.
- SuitableForChildren,SuitableForInfants,Please treat our house with care. Thank you.
- Guests are advised to be respectful of the residential setting of the accommodation and to keep noise to a minimum, especially when using any outdoor areas of the property including the property’s decks and balconies
- The property is not to be used for parties or functions
- There is a strict no smoking policy at the property
- The guests experience and enjoyment of the property is important to us as is our relationship with our neighbours. Should the guests behaviour cause any disturbance that warrants us to contact the guest, and the Managers directions are not complied with (acting reasonably) or there is potential for damage to the property, the booking may be terminated and security deposit retained.
- There is a maximum number of 2 vehicles at the property to be parked on the driveway.
- It is a condition of booking that furniture not be moved from it's original position during your stay
- Guests should contact us immediately if there are any maintenance issues to that these can be rectified as soon as possible.
- We hope you enjoy this wonderful property and its interesting history.